navigation annulled - try to rewrite address

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Winsteps

navigation annulled - try to rewrite address

Unread post by Winsteps »

The Help file is CHM created with the H&M 4.5.0 Build 1306. My user in Denmark (running Windows in Danish) writes:
"The Help problem: when I activate Help, the box comes up in upper right corner. Left column is OK with the list of contents, but right column just states "navigation annulled" and "try to rewrite adress" - my translation from Danish :-) It stays like that no matter what I do - or push. This happens whenever I try to activate Help."
Am trying to get them to send me a screen-shot and tell me which version of Windows. But do you know of an immediate work-around?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is an old problem actively created by Microsoft with SP2 for Windows XP and all following versions of Windows. It means that your client is opening the help on a network drive, which is no longer permitted with CHMs. See this topic for details (nearly 18,500 page views already):

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtopic.php?t=2870

See this page on the EC Software website for more information and a little tool to enable opening CHMs on network drives:

http://www.ec-software.com/products_hhreg.html

This too is not perfect: You must apply the changes on every computer from which you wish to access the CHM files on a network. Really, it is best to use Browser-based Help for help on networks and the Internet and CHMs for help installed locally on the user's computer.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Thanks, Tim. My apologies, I have looked at that webpage many times. It was the "Danish" that threw me ....