Access violation inserting toggles

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tinat

Access violation inserting toggles

Unread post by tinat »

Hi,
When I attempt to add a toggle to my project, I am getting this error:

Access violation at address 0040457C in module 'HelpMan.exe'. Read of address 000000FC

This happens when I try to use my shortcut that I have set up or when I use Insert > Toggle.

I have toggles throughout my project that have been added without any issues.

I am using H&M Professional Edition Version 4.5.0 Build 1344
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tina,

Does this only happen with this project or does it also happen if you create a new project and try to insert a toggle?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

I maintain 2 projects, and it was happening in both of them. This morning when I tried to insert a toggle, it worked. I also tested in a new project and it worked correctly.
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tina,

Please let us know if you manage to find a way to reproduce the problem reliably, then we can investigate it. What may have happened is that you had some interference from some other software. Another possibility is that something in Windows' memory got corrupted -- this is sometimes the reason for strange transient errors that cannot be reproduced when you restart a program and/or Windows.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Hi Tim,
Every time I insert a toggle, then Save the project, then attempt to add another toggle I can get this error every time. The only work around is to exit the software and re-enter.
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

tinat wrote:Every time I insert a toggle, then Save the project, then attempt to add another toggle I can get this error every time. The only work around is to exit the software and re-enter.
Unfortunately, you are the only user anywhere who is experiencing this issue. It is not possible to reproduce it on any system here and nobody else has ever reported it. Try creating a new project -- does it happen with that too? If it doesn't we need to have a look at the project causing the problem. Please pack just the .HMX file (no graphics, no other files) in a ZIP or RAR archive (necessary to prevent files from being stripped by some mail providers) and mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @).

If the same issue happens with a brand-new project the problem is in your H&M installation or you computer. Try installing H&M on a different machine, you will probably not get the problem there. If that is the case first try uninstalling and reinstalling H&M on your machine. If that does not help it may be time to reinstall Windows... :x
Regards,

Private support:
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Hi Tim,
The issue is with using custom icons with the toggle. If I use any of the predefined icons, I do not have get the error. If I use a custom icon, I get it every time. I saved new icons to see if the issue was with the icons I was using, and I still got it. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, since I'm the only one who is getting this, but I thought this might shed some light on the situation.
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tina,

Where are the graphics files for the custom icons located? Is it possible that they're on an external drive or a network drive somewhere? In very rare cases I've seen problems accessing files on USB thumb drives for example, and network drives are also frequent culprits.
Regards,

Private support:
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

They are stored on a network drive. I'm not sure what would have changed that I am now all of a sudden getting this error. I would get it infrequently, then only after I saved a project, now I get it every time I try to insert a toggle.
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

tinat wrote:They are stored on a network drive. I'm not sure what would have changed that I am now all of a sudden getting this error. I would get it infrequently, then only after I saved a project, now I get it every time I try to insert a toggle.
Try copying them to a local drive and using them from there for your toggles. Does the problem go away?
Regards,

Private support:
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

No, I still get the Access Violation error.
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hmm... Try using completely different icon graphics. Use some very simple GIF or PNG graphics. Does it still happen?
Regards,

Private support:
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Tried that too...
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

OK, this is now being dealt with directly off-forum by the programmers. I will post a message here when it is resolved. :)
Regards,

Private support: