Topic error

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

hristina

Topic error

Unread post by hristina »

In an existing project file I added a new topic with text = "Test new topic".
When I compiled the project a compilation error reported: "Topic "Test new topic" not exists or cannot be read.". When I ran the result .chm file clicking on the newly added topic in the right panel I see "The page cannot be displayed".

If I added another new Topic and I compile the application , the new Topic before that is invisible (there is not).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Hristina,

What has probably happened is that one of the two topics has a topic ID that is exactly 31 characters long and the other ID is exactly the same as the first one, just with some additional characters. To correct this now run the Repair & Recover tool from the Tools menu on the project file. You will then be able to check the topic IDs and make any necessary changes.

This problem is caused by a bug in the Delphi compiler that was only discovered after H&M4 was released. It would be easy to fix but that would break all existing .hmx projects because it would change the internal structure. We are thus waiting until the update to the next major version, when the project files will be converted automatically anyway.

Help & Manual will not create 31-character IDs automatically but it can't prevent you from doing this manually.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.