Table: List index out of bounds

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Winsteps

Table: List index out of bounds

Unread post by Winsteps »

This happened when I was trying to unlock a column width on the Table menu.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is a very rare error in tables that can generally be ignored. Your version is out of date, by the way: The current version is 4.51 Build 1371 -- try downloading and installing, it will probably help. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SGIRA

Not so rare

Unread post by SGIRA »

Tim,
I beg to differ, I encounter this error daily. Mostly not fatal, but whatever action I was trying to accomplish is canceled. Usually have to go to another topic and then come back and try again, works most of the time. Actions are usually involve trying to Edit table properties, or drag a border.

Also, I often edit more than one table property, commit, and the properties remain unchanged, ex: padding, and or Table-can-span...

Running current version, by the way.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Quote: Thomas Alva Edison
When inventing the filament for the light-bulb. :idea:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Sgira,

Can you provide step-by-step instructions for reproducing this error? That would be very helpful. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SGIRA

Unread post by SGIRA »

I wish I could Tim. It is inconsistent. The same action often works fine, then subsequently generates exactly the same error msg mentioned. Most often dragging a border is at fault, and will occur at the first move of the mouse. Other times selecting "Table Properties" will cause it. Less often when changes to properties have been made, the committed, then the error. Again, my work-around would be to select another topic, then return to the one giving trouble, and all is aok. :? :?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hmm... The problem here is that we can't reproduce this AT ALL, it just never happens on our machines. The users who report it get it quite frequently, but ONLY those users get it. So I suspect some kind of interaction with something on your systems.

It would be good to find out if there is some common factor on your machine and Winsteps' machine. Possible things to consider:
  • Overclocked hardware? Timing issues can often cause problems like this. The same can apply if the processor and/or memory is running just a little bit too hot.
  • Any utilities that change the way Windows works? Particularly utilities that affect the appearance of Windows and the functioning of dialogs. However, all resident utilities that are operational all the time are suspect, including virus and spyware scanners. If you are both using the same ones that might be a possible cause.
  • Any other programs that you always have running while working in H&M?
  • What are your graphics cards, graphics drivers? Since graphics drivers are also constantly interacting with the system they are also a common cause of timing and other problems.
Regards,

Private support:
SGIRA

What does it mean?

Unread post by SGIRA »

Tim
Thanks for taking an interest in this problem, as you always do. I can provide a list of all background programs and process running, but this would be very time-consumming. Perhaps it would be helpful if I knew just what this error means to H&M.

Normally a LIST INDEX is a finite set of addresses defining some class of an internal data-set. In this scenario, the msg. would imply a change is being attempted to an address outside the address range. But, I have no way of knowing what it means to H&M.

One common factor I would look for is how many tables are in the current project. I have a LOT (5,960). Since tabling is used to format invisible topics(popups) in the project.

This is not a critical problm for me at this time. Simply exiting the topic involved, and reentering it, resolves this for me 99% of the time (have had the rare lock-up).
Martin Wynne

Re: What does it mean?

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Tom,

"List Index Out of Bounds" is a common error in Delphi programs. It is nearly always caused by attempting to access an item beyond the end of the list, usually by forgetting to decrement the Count variable:

Code: Select all

for n:=0 to ItemCount do ...
instead of

Code: Select all

for n:=0 to ItemCount-1 do ...
The exception occurs on the final unwanted iteration of the loop, which means that in most cases the task has by then been completed, and the program can continue without error.

regards,

Martin.
SGIRA

Thanks Martin

Unread post by SGIRA »

Appreciate the response, you are a knowledgeable contributer to this forum.