Importing anchor IDs from Winhelp

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

SGIRA

Related Problem??

Unread post by SGIRA »

Whe I import Winhelp formatted RTF project via .HPJ project file. All anchor links are imoprted as simple topic ids, rather than topicid - anchorid (target). This requires extensive editing of all calls to that anchor to correct this. :(
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Quote: Thomas Alva Edison
When inventing the filament for the light-bulb. :idea:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Winhelp anchors are addressed directly in the same way as topics with an absolute ID. Help & Manual uses HTML-style addressing with topicID#anchorID. Because of this it is necessary to edit links to anchor IDs after importing them from Winhelp, because the link will be pointing directly to the anchorID as if it were a topic ID.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SGIRA

Unread post by SGIRA »

Tks Tim, not good news :( .
Any way you can think of that I can pre-edit the input RTF so that these would get picked up? Any suggestion appreciated.

Tom
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately this isn't possible at the moment -- there's no way to change the way anchors are coded in the Winhelp source. It's conceivable that a solution could be found but my suggestion would be to wait on pushing this one until after the initial release of HM5. The development team have so much on their plates at the moment that things like this will be on the back burner for a while. However, if demand is high enough I'm sure they'd be willing to turn their attention to it once the main release is out.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SGIRA

Thanks Tim

Unread post by SGIRA »

I understand, release-time is crunch-time.

Since H&M "knows" internally that a topic has an anchor in it, perhaps these references could be resolved at build time. Would need to keep a list of anchors just as topic ids are kept currently.

SIGH another WINHELP issue. :cry: