Links Within a Topic Do Not Work in Netscape 7

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mchinn

Unread post by mchinn »

I set up a bunch of inline anchors then linked to them using the topic link (choosing the subanchors). However, they only work in IE and not Netscape.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Do you say the same HTML page works in other browsers but not in Netscape?
This is pretty odd... I have not the faintest idea what could be wrong.
Anchor links are trivial. Are you sure you have defined the link properly? How about compiled help - does it work there?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
mchinn

Anchors in Netscape and Opera Don't Work

Unread post by mchinn »

Yes. I have one page where I have a list and then created anchors to subtopics down the page. I've tested in NS7, Opera 6.0.5, and IE 6.00.2.6. The links only work in IE.

I made the links by highlighting each of the subtopics throughout the page by using Insert > Anchor (they then turn a highlighted neon green. I then highlighted the corresponding lines in the TOC at the top, choosing the Link button, then choosing the current topic ID, then the Anchor in Topic (from the ones I created).

They turn green as a link but do not work within Help & Manual when clicked.

Most all of our company uses Netscape as browsers, not IE. That's why I generate plain HTML as help.
ryanknoll

Konqueror browser in Linux can't view HTML/Javascript export

Unread post by ryanknoll »

I noticed that H&M's html/javascript format doesn't work when viewed with Konqueror (v. 3.1). It displays everything fine on the initial page, but once you click a node, the frame is blank white.

Apple is using the Konqueror code base for their new Safari browser. Has anyone tested Safari, can it view H&M fine?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Yes, it would be interesting to hear how it looks in Safari. Knowing Apple's excellent reputation for improving software that they adapt -- OSX is basically Free BSD, for example 8) -- it is quite possible that the menu will work with Safari.

The current JavaScript system is pretty much focused on IE, unfortunately. However, I have it on good authority :twisted: that a brand-new JavaScript menuing system is currently in the works that will have much better multi-browser support and some other bells and whistles.

There is not yet any hard information on when it will be ready but it will be implemented in H&M 3.x, we're not going to have to wait until version 4. :D
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
dhu

Re: Konqueror browser in Linux can't view HTML/Javascript ex

Unread post by dhu »

ryanknoll wrote:I noticed that H&M's html/javascript format doesn't work when viewed with Konqueror (v. 3.1). It displays everything fine on the initial page, but once you click a node, the frame is blank white.
Same happened with Opera v7.xx (Windows) - you aint see nothing but a blank page (correct, 2 blank pages since it is framed)
Mozilla, Phoenix and IE have no problems. Weird...!? :?

d|hu
mchinn

Unread post by mchinn »

I finally installed HM 3.04 and still don't see this working correctly. Did the new javascript core get added to Help and Manual? Just checking in on this bug as we have to support multi-browsers.

Matt
John Smith

Re: Links Within a Topic Do Not Work in Netscape 7

Unread post by John Smith »

mchinn wrote:Links Within a Topic Do Not Work in Netscape 7

I set up a bunch of inline anchors then linked to them using the topic link (choosing the subanchors). However, they only work in IE and not Netscape.
Ok this is kinda a bug in H&M, but it is because the gecko group of browsers have become more pedantic, maybe due to w3c standards.

When you set up an anchor in H&M by highlighting text it automatically creates an Anchor ID, but makes the first letter a capital letter. So 'content' has a anchor id of 'Content', and when you go and choose the anchor it is also 'Content'. All is fine, but when H&M compiles the browser based help, the anchor id <a name="content"></a> is in lower case and the link is in upper case for the first letter <a href=mytopi.html#Content>text</a> and the browser do not recognise it. IE is much more lenient and guesses what you want even if you do not. A bane for many web deveolpers.

As a short term fix - set all Anchor ID's as lower case, and then redo your links.

Regards
John
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

John,
thank you for clearification! We will fix the problem a.s.a.p.!
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH