Impict - non-rect shape with white outline becomes rect

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jgodfrey

Impict - non-rect shape with white outline becomes rect

Unread post by jgodfrey »

Strange..... Draw a non-rectangular shape (circle, ellipse, etc). Fill it's interior with a color - let's say "red". Now, change it's outline color to "white". The red fill color now fills the entire bounding box of the shape - effectively making the shape a rectangle. Change the outline color back to any color besides pure white, and original shape reappears.

Jeff
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Jeff: Confirmed, I can reproduce this reliably (I've never used white outlines before... :? ). I thought it might have something to do with the white background but it also happens when you set the background to another color.

The workaround is to define an outline color of "almost" white (e.g. R254, B254, G254), which works fine and is indistinguishable from white.

I have a suspicion that this is related to the technical problem that makes it impossible to create genuinely "black" Dazzles (should you ever wish to do such an odd thing). Here too you have to define "almost black" (e.g. R1, G1, B1), which also works fine. For details on this see Reference / Objects & Images / Dazzle Objects / Properties in the Impict help.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jgodfrey

Unread post by jgodfrey »

Tim Green wrote:Jeff: Confirmed, I can reproduce this reliably (I've never used white outlines before... :? ).
Actually, me neither. I was just playing last night trying to reproduce an effect that I saw in someone else's help file...
Tim Green wrote:I thought it might have something to do with the white background but it also happens when you set the background to another color.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I figured that some type of "flood-fill" algorithm was getting lost when the border color matched the background color - but, as you stated any background color causes the problem.
Tim Green wrote:The workaround is to define an outline color of "almost" white (e.g. R254, B254, G254), which works fine and is indistinguishable from white.
That's exactly what I ended up doing. Thanks for the confirmation Tim.

Jeff