Something wrong with PDF export?

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Jure Erznoznik

Something wrong with PDF export?

Unread post by Jure Erznoznik »

I'm trying to export a project to PDF. I am using a slightly modified version of Standard_manual_A4.mnl which is provided by H&M. I am axporting cover page, TOC, top level intro, topics and back cover.

I have two problems with the output:
- The setting "Section starts always on odd page" doesn't seem to work (at all). The pages are simply inserted at the next page instead skipping even ones.
- There seems to be a problem with topics that span multiple pages. Heading 1 title is exported on a separate page (just after the top level intro), but after heading 1 there is a page break. It doesn't help if I set heading 1 band to 0 height.

I also tried this with un-modified template just to see if I did something wrong, but the results are the same there.

I am using H&M 3.3.0 build 815 (latest available). Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

The odd/even page problem is quite simple, it's actually working properly. If you output the file to a printer or select File / Print Preview in Help & Manual you will see that the blank pages are being generated properly. They just aren't displayed in a PDF file on screen because they are redundant there. 8)

Your pages spanning multiple pages problem is a bit more difficult. I can't reproduce this with a normal page containing text and images. Does your page contain tables that span the page? This does cause problems; for PDF export it's important to ensure that tables can't span pages. You can split them at safe points with the Table / Split Table option.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Jure Erznoznik

Thanks for clarification of my first problem. It is as you say.

As for the second problem: There are no tables whatsoever. After I removed Heading 1, I get one clear page between top level intro and the topic text. The only thing that is on that page are the header and footer. There is no apparent reason why this page should be empty.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Thanks for clarification of my first problem. It is as you say.

BTW: You can include the blank pages in your onscreen PDF output by deselecting the "Ignore blank pages in PDF file" option in Project / Project Properties / Adobe PDF Export / PDF Layout.

I can't for the life of me think what the problem might be with your strange page breaks. You might want to send a small sample project file that shows the problem (without any images) to EC-Software at support AT ec-software.com so that they can check it for you.
Last edited by Tim Green on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Jure Erznoznik

Thanks, I might just do that :)