Encoding of topic anchors

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Squiker

Encoding of topic anchors

Unread post by Squiker »

I have the following problem/bug. When i set the encoding of topic anchors option to a different settings than colon seperator (e.g underscore separation) the output from the Helpcontext tool is still seperated with colons so:

topic:anchor is stil the same instead of topic_anchor in the output .H file. (I use C++ builder and it refuses to except the colon defided topic ids)

Is this a bug or just something in the trail version of H&M?
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

The anchor encoding option only applies to the Winhelp export. The Winhelp export creates a file with the extension ".hm" which contains the help context map. The encoding in this file is correct. I am not sure what you are missing.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Squiker

Unread post by Squiker »

Hello Alexander,

I checked the .hm file again and now it was indeed correct, I had viewed the wrong file. However my problem still remains!! :( :(

I want to use the Winhelpfile in C-Builder for context sensative help. For this purpose i need a header file to include in to the project.

When I export the Help context numbers (from the
tools->HelpContextTool->ExportHelpContext numbers menu item) The seperation of context id and anchor id is still done with semicolons.

so in the .hm file the output would be:

topic_anchor = 10

And the .h exported file (that i need) would be:

#define topic:anchor = 10

So in the .h export that is needed as the header file in C builder the seperator sttings are not used! C builder does not understand the semicolon seperation.

So either I change all semi colon seperators to underscores in the .h file my self or i have to ad the #define statment bevore all the context id's in the .hm file...

I hope this clears my question up a bit, so you can help me.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I see... and it doesn't help to use the HTML Help export as an alternative...
Maybe we can improve the "Help Context Tool" and add an option for the anchor separator there. The help context tool exports a help context map with "#define" statements.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Squiker

Unread post by Squiker »

Alexander,

HTML Help output does not help.

The best thing would indeed be to improve the Help Context tool so it also ads an anchor separator.. (Is i had assumed it did :wink: )

I would probably not be the only one happy with such a feature :D