HREF_INDEX_PAGE and Static TOC

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Richard Kaspar

HREF_INDEX_PAGE and Static TOC

Unread post by Richard Kaspar »

I generate browser based help. The opera browser has problems with JavaScript, so I use Static TOC instead of Dynamic TOC (Project Properties/HTML Export Layout/Navigation).
But HREF_INDEX_PAGE and HREF_CONTENT_PAGE seams not to work correctly. In the resulting HTML-file is a absolute Link to the Folder, where the files are generated. If I move the HTML-files to another folder the link makes problems.
Now I always correct the link after generating, but this could not be the solution.

The HTML Template variables TABLE_OF_CONTENTS and KEYWORD_INDEX also seams to work not correctly. They will not be substituted and appear in the HTML-code as they are.
Richard Kaspar
John Smith

Unread post by John Smith »

Richard just to clarify what you are saying.

You are working in HTML. after generating the pages, you move some to a different directory, and manually modify the links.

I do not think there is another solution, unless H&M can dictate a path for each topic, which could cause many further problems.

You could consider having separate help files in the folders with links from the main one to the others, but much more work than just keeping all the topic pages together.

Can't help with the TOC, & Keyword problem.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

By the way: The next update of H&M will include an updated version of the TOC that will handle Opera properly, automatically. This means you will be able to generate a dynamic TOC for your IE, Netscape and Mozilla users. When an Opera user opens the help system it will automatically switch to a static TOC. The current browser support status for the new TOC is as follows:

+ Internet Explorer (Windows) 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 and 6.02
+ Netscape Navigator (Windows) 4.08, 4.51, 4.71, 4.76, 4.78 and 6.1
+ Opera (Windows) 5.12, 6.05 and 7.10
+ Mozilla (Linux) 1.1 and 1.3
- Konqueror 3.11 (Linux) does not work!

It does not appear to be possible to solve the problems with Konqueror, unfortunately, but all the other browser versions listed above work fine. :wink:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Richard Kaspar

I have forgotten my own post :oops:
John Smith wrote:You are working in HTML. after generating the pages, you move some to a different directory, and manually modify the links.
I do not move some, I move the complete folder to another, better said I upload it to my homepage (http://www.kasparsoft.de/Hilfe/Opera/index.html).

After generating I have the file "kasparsoft_kwindex.htm" with the line
<a href="f:\delphi\private\help\kasparsoft\html\kasparsoft_content.htm">Table of Contents</a>

Of course "f:\delphi\private\help\kasparsoft\html\kasparsoft_content.htm" only exists on my computer, so everybody else, who clicks that link will get an error.

So I changed it to
<a href="kasparsoft_content.htm">Table of Contents</a>

That ist the line I expected, that H&M should generate.

The generated file kasparsoft_content.htm has the same problem.
Richard Kaspar
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

Richard Kaspar wrote: The generated file kasparsoft_content.htm has the same problem.
I have the same problem.

In bvs_content.htm and bvs_kwindex.htm there is the filename always with path (e.g. href="c:\work\bvs46\doku\html\bvs_kwindex.htm") and it should be - like in all html files - without the path (like this: href="bvs_kwindex.htm").

Ray
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hmm... I can't seem to reproduce this at all, I've tried in quite a few ways.

Could you provide a code example (use the

Code: Select all

[/i] tags option when posting, it makes it easier to read) showing exactly how you are using the variables? Remember that you can [i][b]only[/b][/i] use template variables in templates -- you can't use them in your topics, not even if you use the Insert / Plain HTML... option.

Also, what version build of H&M are you using?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Richard Kaspar

I'm using Version 3.3.0.815 of H&M

I have made a step by step description wih screenshots to reproduce the bug.
Richard Kaspar
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Richard,

we'll fix this problem for the static TOC a.s.a.p. Meanwhile, please take a look at the preview of version 3.31 which features a new hybrid TOC that works with Opera as well. So you have the advantage of a dynamic TOC plus Opera.

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtopic.php?t=981
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH