6 Looks great but missing kindle format

This is the place to place want ads if you're a help author looking for a client or a client looking for a help author -- naturally with a focus on authors using Help & Manual. If traffic increases we'll divide it into two sections.

Moderator: Tim Green

Silas Tomkyn Combermache

6 Looks great but missing kindle format

Unread post by Silas Tomkyn Combermache »

I really like the upgrade and I have not explored all the features, BUT I hope you gentlemen will consider the mobi format as well as the currently implented mobi format. I think the kindle will surpass the ipad in popularity (1,000,000 per week) and in any event it is extremely popular right now. I personally use it for extended reading of texts that I have prepared using various downloads from the web. It is like the calulator I use next to my computer, the kindle is just more convenient sometimes. I use Help & Manual for independent texts more often than as an adjunct to computer programs. I recommend your program to teachers all the time for instructional texts. Anyway, I hope you consider adding a kindle compatible format which is called mobi. The pdf format (new kindles can use it) requires too much rework from ordinary page sizes to be worth the effort, and it appears to be less efficient for this purpose.

thanks,
for the Fifteenth Light Dragoons,
Silas Tomkyn Combermache
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: 6 Looks great but missing kindle format

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Silas,

Thanks for your feedback! We started with ePUB because it's currently the most universal format and ideally we would really like to focus on a single eBook format. Also, while we were working on version 6 there were some strong rumors going around that the Kindle was also going to introduce support for ePUB. Unfortunately, that hasn't materialized yet. We are going to follow this for a while longer but there is a good chance we could introduce support for a Kindle-friendly format like Mobi as well. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
David Makulec

Re: 6 Looks great but missing kindle format

Unread post by David Makulec »

Tim --

While it would serve no (near-term) purpose for my employer, and while I share your utopian desire for a single, cross-platform e-book format, as a long-time Kindle fan I second this wish list item/suggestion.