Browse sequences (navigation) in H&M4?

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ad van Os

Browse sequences (navigation) in H&M4?

Unread post by Ad van Os »

Hello,

What happened to (the navigation of) the browse sequences in H&M4? I use quite a lot and long browse sequences, but I can't find anything about in the help.

What happened to the browse sequense option in the project options?
How do I navigate through browse sequences in H&M4?

Thanks for your response,

Ad.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ad,

Looks like you were one of the very few people who used browse sequences. :? Support for them has been removed in H&M4. Browse sequences were actually only relevant in Winhelp (HTML Help and all other formats do not support browse sequences), which is now an obsolete format and is only supported in H&M4 for backward compatibility.

You can still navigate through your own "editing" browse sequences in H&M4 with the green Next and Previous buttons in the toolbar.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ad van Os

Browse sequence alternative?

Unread post by Ad van Os »

Hello Tim,

How do I re-use topics for PDF-output, which we use as a (printed) manual and help-output, which we use for the traditional help functionality of our programs?

We have rather long topics, that are far to long to put on one screen for the help, so they have to be cut into small digestible pieces. But I don't want to use those small pieces in the manual because I don't want them to have all separate paragraph numbers.

Kind regards,

Ad.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ad,

How you do this depends on the structure of your project. If the small topics are all on the same level you can edit your print manual template and set it up so that that level is not included in the contents and there are no page breaks before topics on that level. Then they will all be output continuously in the PDF.

Alternatively you can also use H&M's conditional output features to create alternative versions of the chapters containing the topics for PDF and electronic output. If you don't want to maintain separate copies of the topics for this you can use this strategy:
  1. Create both the originals and the alternative versions as "empty" topics.
  2. Create the "source" topics in the Invisible Topics section.
  3. Insert the source topics in both locations as embedded topics with Insert > Embedded Topic.
  4. Set the Builds Which Include This Topic options of one version to be included in PDF output only and the other version to be included in electronic output only.
In H&M4 you can also set the include options (Builds Which Include This Topic) of the invisible topics so that they are not included in any output. This will prevent invisible copies of these topics from being included in the electronic output, which would then be found in full-text searches and the index. (Embedded topics are created by inserting a copy of the source topic when you compile. After this the source topic is no longer needed.)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.