HELP - modified template required for eBook

This is the place to share H&M templates and utilities with other users. Topic templates can be posted as text attachments (*.txt) or in the posting itself between

Code: Select all

and 
tags. Print manual templates (*.mnl) are digital and can only be posted as attachments. Utilities and multiple files can be posted in ZIP archives. Please include plenty of comments so that users understand what you're doing! Registration is required to access this forum.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

SmokingMirror99

HELP - modified template required for eBook

Unread post by SmokingMirror99 »

Hi all,

I currently use Help&Manual to produce help files in the eBook format. However I would like to be able to remove the Table of Contents from the default template but still retain the SEARCH facility.

With Help&Manual there are a number of supplied eBook templates. There is a standard version and a standard version minus the TOC. However the standard version minus the TOC does not have a search facility.

So basically what I am after is a single pane display (no TOC) but with a SEARCH facility at the top.

I have no idea how to create templates or how easy this is to do. Is anyone able to help?

Thanks!
:(
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

The eBook templates are binary and there is currently no editor for them. However, EC is sometimes willing to produce custom templates if you ask them nicely -- 8) -- for example a while ago Alex did a quick kiosk mode template for someone on the forum who needed one. What you need sounds like a pretty trivial mod to the basic template so it would be worth asking them. I can't give any guarantees, of course, but it does sound relatively easy to achieve

Just contact EC Software support at support AT ec-software.com. An answer may take a couple of days at the moment because the programmers are currently finishing up a trip to a major conference in the USA.
Last edited by Tim Green on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
seetext

Re: HELP - modified template required for eBook

Unread post by seetext »

SmokingMirror99 wrote:Hi all,

With Help&Manual there are a number of supplied eBook templates. There is a standard version and a standard version minus the TOC. However the standard version minus the TOC does not have a search facility.

I have no idea how to create templates or how easy this is to do. Is anyone able to help?

Thanks!
:(
I sometimes heard of additional templates for MMH created by Alex or someone else at ec-software.
CHM is not bad for helpfiles, but I prefer MMH for some nice functionalities. I would be GREAT to get more templates for it. For I'm no programmer at all and I'll be damned if I know anything about writing skins with Delphi 3 I just like to beg for existing templates. :roll:
Why not provide those modified DFMs that someone already created?
Here's the place to deposit. Alex, be kind, search through your drawers.
I'm sure there are nice things to find. :wink:

And Alex, what's about your post, from Mon Dec 02, 2002? MMH and linux?
And idea still alive or long since dead? :cry:

:P :P :P :P

martin
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

And Alex, what's about your post, from Mon Dec 02, 2002? MMH and linux?
And idea still alive or long since dead?
The idea is alive but I hesitate to re-invent the wheel, so I'm still investigating alternative routes.

There is a company called KAMA Software who has done a similar implementation, but that works with regular help files. Quite astonishing, their help viewer can directly open Winhelp (.hlp) and HTML Help (.chm) files, both on Windows and on Linux.

Here is the link:
http://www.kamasoftware.com/helpexplorer.php
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
chyman

Need a Custom e-Book Template

Unread post by chyman »

All,

I know this is asking a lot and I am willing to do it myself if there is an easy enough tool to use (WYSIWIG). I need to build a custom skin for ebooks produced by my company complete with color schema and logo and new icons. Possibly a new shape to it as well but nothing to dramatic. Maybe something with some rounded edges.

Anyway - does anyone have any idea how to help me?

Chip
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Chip,

The eBook skins are a closed digital format and currently there is no editor for manipulating this format. However, if you contact EC Software support directly they may be able to help you, at support [AT] ec-software.com.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.