Revising subscript text

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mbgg

Revising subscript text

Unread post by mbgg »

There is an annoying problem with revising subscripted text:
- I write an equation with "Fx" and subscript the 'x'
- I then want to revise it "Fy"; if I drag and highlight the "x" and type "y", it is displayed with the normal size font !
I then have to use the Font-subscript option again. This is very time-consuming as some of my documents have a lot of equations. Note that if I do the same in MsWord or WordPerfect, the "y" is displayed as subscript.
Michael

Version 7.5.4 - Build 4760
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is not really a bug. You have to remember that whilst H&M does a very good job of emulating a word processor most of the time it is not actually a word processor. It has to use a specialized editor that makes it possible to generate multiple very different formats from the same source and this imposes some restrictions on what is possible.

To "replace" the characters in subscripted text just place the cursor directly to the right of the text to replace and type the new text. Then backspace with the cursor key and delete the original.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mbgg

Unread post by mbgg »

OK, but I feel that this is not the intuitive way to correct a subscript. I instinctively delete the old letter and then type in the new one. This works in both MsWord and WordPerfect.

I understand that H&M is not a wordprocessor but up to a certain level it must not operate differently from these programs. After years of using the 'delete-type' sequence it has become instinctive a lot of concentration is required to do otherwise.
Michael

Version 7.5.4 - Build 4760