PDF to RTF Converter?

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

HarborSoft

PDF to RTF Converter?

Unread post by HarborSoft »

I'm looking for an inexpensive conversion program that will do a good job of turning a generated PDF manual into RTF for editing. Any suggestions?

Chris Gordon
Harbor Software Company
Hasso

Unread post by Hasso »

Hi Chris,

I have been working with PDF Converter by Nuance Software for some years and use it frequently. They just released a new version 5 (I'm still working with version 2) and the price is $99.99.

See this link http://www.nuance.com/pdfconverter/professional/.
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hi Chris and Hasso,

Why would you not simply compile to RTF in the first place? Or use a PDF editor, such as Foxit (recommended by Tim; I haven't used it yet) or Acrobat itself?

Just curious - thanks,
Dean
Hasso

Unread post by Hasso »

Dean wrote
Why would you not simply compile to RTF in the first place? Or use a PDF editor, such as Foxit (recommended by Tim; I haven't used it yet) or Acrobat itself?
Just because the RTF output that way is not well formatted. You get a hard coded paragraph with each new line in the PDF and have to correct manually a lot after converting.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Hasso,
Hasso wrote:I have been working with PDF Converter by Nuance Software for some years and use it frequently.
That's interesting -- how is the quality of the documents that the converter outputs?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Hasso

Unread post by Hasso »

Hello Tim,

I just converted two pages of a PDF file and think the quality is very good.
I'll add the PDF and the converted doc as attachment so everyone can have a look at them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Hasso,

Thanks for posting this, that's quite impressive. It's not perfect but it's much better than any other conversions I've seen in the past, and light years ahead of what Acrobat does, which is generally a total dog's dinner. (I think some of the few mistakes come from the program not believing that the German words could be so long, like "Sachverständ ig enbe irat", where it inserted some additional spaces...)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.