Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down cause topic to lose focus

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
jeffbronks

Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down cause topic to lose focus

Unread post by jeffbronks »

In HM4 it was easy to edit successive topics without using the mouse, by using the Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down keys. You can't do that in HM5, because hitting one of these key combinations causes the focus to jump from the topic editor to the table of contents pane. You then have to click in the topic editor to restore the focus before you can start using the keyboard to edit again.
Martin Wynne

Re: Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down cause topic to lose focus

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

jeffbronks wrote:In HM4 it was easy to edit successive topics without using the mouse, by using the Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down keys. You can't do that in HM5, because hitting one of these key combinations causes the focus to jump from the topic editor to the table of contents pane. You then have to click in the topic editor to restore the focus before you can start using the keyboard to edit again.
Hi Jeff,

You can press Ctrl+Tab to shift focus from the TOC back to the editor. (Tab by itself sometimes works, sometimes not.)

If you have a topic header, you then need Ctrl+Tab again to jump down to the topic body.

Martin.
jeffbronks

Good idea Martin. I'll file that under 'workarounds'. :wink:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Jeff,

Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down are still assigned to previous/next topic by default. If they are changing the focus to the Explorer then it's possible that the shortcuts have been changed, check your shortcuts settings in View > Program Options.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jeffbronks

Tim Green wrote:Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down are still assigned to previous/next topic by default. If they are changing the focus to the Explorer then it's possible that the shortcuts have been changed, check your shortcuts settings in View > Program Options.
Sorry Tim, I've realised that my bug report was open to misinterpretation. What I meant was that Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down are correctly mapped to 'Previous Topic' and 'Next Topic', but they have the additional side-effect of switching the focus to the TOC. So I can switch topics just as I could in HM4 but, having done so, I then have to manually restore the focus to the edit pane before I can resume editing with the keyboard.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jeff,

Hmm.. this may be the way the ribbon component works, personally I've never noticed it as a problem because I don't expect the cursor to be in the topic when I switch to it. Probably because I use the mouse 98% of the time and that's how it works when I select a topic with the mouse... :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.