Making the IPP image background transparent

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

HDumas

Making the IPP image background transparent

Unread post by HDumas »

Hi... I read the Impict manual and found it very interesting.

Here is my problem. I hope I can be clear.

I have an IPP image. To this image, I selected an area to copy and brought that image to the front while taking the whole image and shrinking it to the background. I added lines to show that the big image is an area of the smaller one.
OK, now I use the auto adjust size button.... Everything looks fine and professionnal...
Than I added the picture to my H&M topic and now it does not look so hot. My topic has a topic color... but the image (I mean the big image) has white as the background.

Any way to make the parts of the image that are blank show as transparent or maybe I can specify a color and I could give it my topic color.

Hélène
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hélène,

As you've discovered, you can only use the transparency settings for the objects within an .IPP image, not for the image background. To make the background "transparent" (it's not really transparent) you have to set it to the same color has your window background.

To do this first open H&M and go to Project / Project Properties / Help Windows and note down the exact values for your window background color. To find these values click on "Define Custom Colors", then click on the square representing the color you are using and write down all the values (Hue, Sat, Lum, Red, Green, Blue).

Then switch to Impict, open your image, select File / Properties and enter the values you noted above for the background color.

All this is only necessary if you defined a custom color, of course. If you used a standard color you just need to click on the same color in Impict.

If you want a genuinely transparent image you must use GIF. To do this you must first create an image with a single-color background using a color that doesn't appear anywhere else in image. Then save it in Impict in a non-lossy bitmap format like BMP or TIFF, then open it in a graphics program that supports compressed GIFs with transparency (PaintShop Pro, PhotoImpact, PhotoShop, whatever) and save it as a GIF, setting the background color to the transparency color.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
HDumas

Unread post by HDumas »

That's exactly what I was looking for: File/Properties...

Thank you very much... :D

Hélène