IDX Table won't scroll in Firefox

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
Martin Wynne

IDX Table won't scroll in Firefox

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

There's something amiss in Firefox when an IDX table is displayed in the Keyword Index (Webhelp). There's no problem in IE7 or Opera10, so I'm not sure if this is an H&M bug or not. :?

If the keyword index is scrolled using the mouse wheel, or the arrow keys (with F7 off in Firefox), there is no problem, a visible IDX table remains displayed and clickable.

But if the list is scrolled using the vertical scrollbar, releasing the scrollbar hides the IDX table and collapses the list. This is extremely annoying if you don't know to expect it. :(

I assumed at first that I had broken it myself in customizing the keyword pane, but I find the same problem with H&M's own online Help. See attached.

Is there anything I can do to cure this? I normally recommend Firefox to my users, so it's a bit embarrassing to find it the odd one out. :)

regards,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

I think the culprit is probably this line in the script for the IDX tables:

Code: Select all

document.onmouseup = hmhideLinks;
It seems that most browsers don't throw a mouseup event for the scrollbar, but Firefox does. This also appears to be consistent across all versions of Firefox -- I just tested it on a Mac and it's the same there. I'll let Alex know and we'll see what can be changed there. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:I'll let Alex know and we'll see what can be changed there. 8)
Thanks Tim.

Amazing support service to get an answer before breakfast! :)

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

Code: Select all

Amazing support service to get an answer before breakfast!
I'm a compulsive early riser, there's nothing I can do about it. I usually do two hours of support in the early morning and then go to the gym -- which is essential at the moment because I've been doing much too much programming recently, which is not good for the waistline... :x
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

This is a bug in Firefox: Apparently it's an error that it's returning a mouseup event from the scrollbar, it shouldn't be doing that. Alex reports that working around it would require quite significant changes in the scripts, which then wouldn't work as well generally, so they're not going to be changed at the moment. I think the great majority now use scroll wheels or their touchpad so I don't think it's a really a major issue... :?
Regards,

Private support: