H&M and Word 2010: Copying of images

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alex Gurevich

H&M and Word 2010: Copying of images

Unread post by Alex Gurevich »

Help me please in the following problem:
I use H&M 5.3.1.
Usually I copied into topics any texts with images from Word files (with the Word 2007).
Some days ago the system administrator put on my computer the Word 2010 version.
So images in H&M topics have very bad quality.
But when I copy the image only, its quality is good enough.
What could I do to resolve this problem (in H&M or in Word 2010)?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: H&M and Word 2010: Copying of images

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alex,

Before you do anything else, please update your copy of Help & Manual, it is badly out of date. You can download the 5.6 installer from the link down at the bottom of this page (the link at the top is for version 6):

http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html

If you want good image quality you should not copy and paste from Word. Because of the way Word saves images to the Windows clipboard the images are always resized slightly when you do this, and this will sometimes make the quality poor. If you do copy from Word, you must always right-click on the image after pasting and select the option to save the image as an external file. If you don't do this your project will soon become unusable because it will be bloated with huge embedded images.

The best option is to insert images from files on your disk.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Gurevich

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I have found a temporal solution to use the Word Viewer 2007 instead of the Word 2010. The quality of images becomes a little better in this way but they are too small.

But what method could you recommend for the conversion of a Word file into a Help & Manual one (in the place of the “Copy and paste”)?

> The best option is to insert images from files on your disk.

We always receive an original documentation in the form of Word files and we have to converse them for users into CHM files.

Best regards,
Alex
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alex,

The problem may be the format of the images in the Word file, as Word can embed a lot of different formats and some produce better results than others. One thing you can try is to save the Word file as an RTF and then import that into Help & Manual instead of copying and pasting. See the section on importing data in the Basic Working Procedures section of the help for details. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Gurevich

Thank you very much, Tim!
Good luck.