FINAL BETA: New HTML-to-EXE eBook compiler for download

The latest news, information and updates.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

Re: FINAL BETA: New HTML-to-EXE eBook compiler for download

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Thanks, I assumed it might be something like this. I was only experimenting with the CHM output, and we plan to use the EXE output.
SimonH

Unread post by SimonH »

Hi Alex and Tim,

Top product!

Question 1: Do the source files have to have an "html" suffix, or does "htm" work just as well?

Question 2: May it perhaps be possible in future for users to be able to hit print on a topic and optionally also print any sub-topics at the same time? This would work using the table of contents as the reference for which additional topics to print.

Thanks kindly.
All the best,

Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

The source files can be .htm or .html, both are fine. We'll look into the possibility of printing entire chapters. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Simon,

The EXE eBook is a webpage packed into an executable with MSIE as the browser engine. You have the same functionality as with MSIE when used as a web browser (except the full UI). So, printing of mulitple pages or a particular chapter is not possible.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
SimonH

Unread post by SimonH »

Hi Tim and Alexander,

The reason I posed Q2 is that in trying to "sell" the eBook format to our traditional PDF lovers :frustration:, the one apparently enormously overwhelmingly gigantic and insurmountable issue they have is to easily print the thing [although I don't think you can print a topic and sub-topics in one step in PDF anyway... this would be an additional bonus point for eBook format]. Chm has the ability to print child topics, right? So, putting on my "customer is always right; customer is always tight" hat on, I would also wonder why the newer and betterer format can't do that :shock:. Understandable.

In order to provide the required logic, could not the table of contents be referenced as the structure of what is possible to print [in other words, an option to print child topics or just the selected topic itself and nothing else] if the selected topic happens to have child topics? Similarly, a "print the entire book" option should, by rights, also be available :wink:. When considering the "eBook" format and the idea that it is an "electronic book", it is reasonably logical for humans to use the table of contents to provide the necessary "links" between one piece of content and other related pieces of content. If this same logic could be applied to eBook with regard to user-friendly and flexible printing, I am certain it would be of great value to users of the format.

A print preview would also be very lovely :D.

Thanks kindly.
All the best,

Simon
SimonH

Unread post by SimonH »

Considering the above, here is a reason why [the document in question is a training guide]:

"What I mean is with everything Expanded and in one Print run instead of per page…"

Regards,
Neil G
Technical Support Manager Europe

Sent: 07 July 2014 12:53
To: Ian R; Simon H
Subject: RE: xxx training doco/ebooks etc?

Hi Ian/Simon,

I really need a full paper copy, is there any way to PRINT the entire EBOOK completely, I cant figure out how to do it.. only seems to print SECTIONS…"

I don't think that a limitation of topic-by-topic printing is really going to cut the mustard.
All the best,

Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,
I don't think that a limitation of topic-by-topic printing is really going to cut the mustard.
So provide a (downloadable) PDF option for the users who want to print. eBooks are really not designed for printing, any more than WebHelp is, so that is simply not an avenue worth pursuing. PDF is designed for printing. Exclusively, really -- in actual fact a PDF is really nothing more than PostScript printer output saved in a file. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SimonH

Unread post by SimonH »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying. I hear you, but providing duplicated output in PDF is a bugbear we are currently battling and is exactly what we're trying to avoid :). Thing is, is that the ebook does provide a facility for printing and it would be a natural reaction from users as to wonder why the thing cannot print in an efficient manner as described by the table of contents - that is, all topics, current topic, current topic plus any sub-topics. I tend to agree with this and that is not purely by copping flack about the "I like it but why can't I...". The only difference with PDF is that there are a few options for what to print; ie, all pages, current page, page range and selected pages. Obviously the notion of "pages" does not exist in ebook, but the structure of the document does... I have to admit that I am little bewildered by it.
All the best,

Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,
it would be a natural reaction from users as to wonder why the thing cannot print in an efficient manner as described by the table of contents.
They think the same thing when they see WebHelp and you can't print the whole thing there either, for pretty much the same reason. It's really not a viable option at this juncture. Anyone willing to waste all the paper and ink required to print an entire manual will also be willing to download a PDF, so I really don't think there is a major issue here. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
SimonH

Unread post by SimonH »

Hi Tim,

I know for a fact that are those that want to print - perhaps not entire books, but certainly multiple sections as a "handy reference" this is the crux - being able to print a topic and its sub-topic in one operation, that's all that really matters. The actual issue is the additional creation of duplicate content in PDF. In terms of what I am trying here is to wean old-timers off PDF by offering viable options - and unfortunately printing is a functional prevalence to thsese types - hence my conundrum.

Am I the only person in the world experiencing this reaction from users?
All the best,

Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,

I understand your situation, but printing entire chapters or books just isn't going to make it to the first version of eWriter. It may be possible to implement it in a later version, but there may also be technical barriers that prevent it. I can't comment on it at the moment since that code isn't something I'm involved in. But the functionality definitely can't be added to this version; that building site is closed for the moment.
Regards,

Private support:
SimonH

Unread post by SimonH »

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much, I appreciate your feedback. The fact that you have notioned to the possibility of remedying this in a future version is great. I think it would be a worthwhile investment in terms of useability and overall flexibility of the published ebook output. Here's hoping :).

Here, have a virtual Crabbie's ginger beer or two on me :).
All the best,

Simon
Wayne Chen

Unread post by Wayne Chen »

Printing bug? If the topic is longer than a page, then printing from the ebook exe will only do one page worth of text, the rest of the topic is missing.
Using Version 1.0.0 Build 420
Tim Green
Site Admin

Wayne Chen wrote:Printing bug? If the topic is longer than a page, then printing from the ebook exe will only do one page worth of text, the rest of the topic is missing.
Is it possible that you're trying to print the entire main frame? If you configure the Print... functions in the Menu section in EWriter you will get print for the current topic, and that will print all the necessary pages for the current topic. I just re-tested it and it's working fine.
Regards,

Private support:
Wayne Chen

Unread post by Wayne Chen »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. Retested and printing works fine from a different computer so must be a driver issue on my main computer.

Cheers,

Wayne