Images appearing in Webhelp, not in HTML Help

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tinat

Images appearing in Webhelp, not in HTML Help

Unread post by tinat »

Hi,
When I publish my manual in Webhelp, it is pulling in images from a different folder. When I publish my manual in HTML Help, it is not pulling in this image - which is correct.

For example:
I am publishing a v201 manual. Within this folder I have an Images folder to contain all the images that should be published with this verion.
Prior to the v201 manual, I had a v200 manual. Within this folder, I have an Image folder to contain all the images that should be published with this version.

In my Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path for the v201 manual I have it looking at these 2 folders:
Manual\Images
Manual\V201\Images.

It should not be looking at the images in the Manual\V200 \Images folder

The HTML Help is correct and not pulling in these images.
The Webhelp is incorrect and is displaying the v200 images.

Is there another setup for Webhelp that I am missing?
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Images appearing in Webhelp, not in HTML Help

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tina,

It shouldn't be physically possible for Help & Manual to get images out of a folder that is not referenced in the Project Search Path settings for the project you are publishing. There are no path references in the topics; only the file names without paths are referenced there.

The program finds the images by looking for them in the folders listed in the Project Search Path from top to bottom and using the first image it finds with a matching name. This means that if you have images with the same names in more than one folder in the path, only the versions in the folder that comes first will ever be used.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the quick response. The images that are displaying in the Webhelp are not anywhere in the Project Search Path. While the image name is the same in v200 as it is in v201, I am not referencing the v200 Images folder. So the v200 image shouldn't display, am I understanding that correctly? I'm also not sure why the images are displaying in the Webhelp, but not the HTML Help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tina,

In Windows Explorer, check through the images in all the folders referenced in the project where you are having problems, starting at the top of the list. My guess is that more than one folder contains an image with the same name and that the one you actually want to display is in one of the folders further down. However, if Help & Manual will insert the FIRST image with a matching name it finds as it scans through the folders, working down the list from top to bottom. So if the "wrong" image with the "right" name appears first, that is what will be displayed.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Hi Tim,
I believe the issue is that in my v201 manual, which I started as a copy of my v200 manual, I have not had a chance to redo all my screenshots. In the HTML Help this just appears as a block with no photo. In the Webhelp, it appears to be reverting to look at the v200 image folder, even though I am not referencing this folder. The v200 image that is displaying only in the Webhelp version of the v201 manual does not actually exist in any of the v201 projects image folders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks, Tina
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

tinat wrote:in my v201 manual, which I started as a copy of my v200 manual, I have not had a chance to redo all my screenshots
Just a thought, but if you copied your entire v200 directory structure, perhaps you copied the v200 HTML output folder, which would mean the image is already there from previous publishing cycles?

If so, you can probably fix this easily by selecting the checkbox Delete all files in output folder when you generate v201 webhelp (and v205 and v220 which seem to have the same screenshot).
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Yes, that was it!! Thank you very much Simon!!
Thanks, Tina
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Unfortunately I am back to having the same issue. I'm not entirely sure it was fully corrected.
I have checked Delete all files in output folder and when I compile to HTML, the images are not displaying. However, when it is actually put on the website, the old version images are displaying.
Thanks, Tina
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Tina, did you also delete all files in the website folder before uploading?
Tim Green
Site Admin

tinat wrote:Unfortunately I am back to having the same issue. I'm not entirely sure it was fully corrected.
I have checked Delete all files in output folder and when I compile to HTML, the images are not displaying. However, when it is actually put on the website, the old version images are displaying.
You probably have the old images in your website folder as well. If this is combined with a "smart" FTP program (they are usually actually incredibly dumb...) this can result in failure to update with the new versions of your images. To solve this, flush your web server folder before updating as well. That is always a good practice, because it also gets rid of old topic files which will otherwise continue to be indexed by Google and other search engines and will thus continue to be accessible via web searches.

Another possibility is that the old versions of the images are simply in your browser cache from your last visit. To solve that, just clear the browser cache by using the browser' "delete temporary Internet files" feature.
Regards,

Private support: