Exporting ToC to Excel

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Isabel Reid

Exporting ToC to Excel

Unread post by Isabel Reid »

Hi there!

I was wondering if H&M has the functionality to export the ToC listing into something like Excel? I don't need any of the topic data, just the topic caption and where it sits in the ToC structure. I want to create a map of a project to play around with and annotate as it's about to go through a big audit and overhaul.

Thanks
Issy
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Exporting ToC to Excel

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Issy,

This isn't possible directly. The closest you can come is to use the project report tool in the Project tab and generate the simplest report you can get. That will give you an HTML table report that you can copy to Excel. You can sort the report in TOC order. This will give you the topics in the correct order but it won't give you the folder structure.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Another approach is to publish your project to WebHelp. The TOC is in the file hmcontent.htm, listed in expanded order with the heading level indicating parent-child folders.

You can open this file directly in Excel, in which case the links will be converted to file:// links. Or you can open the published WebHelp in a browser, click in the left-hand TOC frame, select everything (<Ctrl>+<A>) and copy to a blank worksheet, in which case the links will be http:// links. Either way the heading levels will be converted into indent levels so you can see the folder structure.
Isabel Reid

Unread post by Isabel Reid »

Thank you both Tim and Simon - I think I can get exactly what I need using the workarounds! :)