Error message in trial version

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dorte Jacobsen

Error message in trial version

Unread post by Dorte Jacobsen »

I have just downloaded and installed a 30 days trial version.
H&M displays an error message (see attached screenshot) when I try to start it.
I can click the error message three times and the product will start.

Anything I can do to prevent the error message from showing?

Thanks,
Dorte
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Error message in trial version

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dorte,

This probably has to do with Subversion version control support. To prevent the error message, go to View > Program Options> Subversion and turn the support in Help+Manual off.

If you are using Subversion you need to follow the instructions here on our blog to eliminate the problems, which are also explained there:

http://news.helpandmanual.com/2016/08/r ... toise-svn/
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dorte Jacobsen

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response.
Turning off support for Subversion did not change anything, though. Still get the error message three times.

Dorte
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dorte,

Hmm... this is strange. Please try installing the following Microsoft C++ runtime components:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

IMPORTANT: If you are using 64-bit Windows you must install BOTH runtime packages -- i.e. both the 32-bit and the 64-bit packages.

Does that fix it?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dorte Jacobsen

Hi Tim,

The extensions will not install. I have a 64-bit Windows and as you advised that I need to install both versions of the extension, I tried the 32-bit first. It did not complete and I interrupted it after about an hour.
Then I tried the 64-bit version but with the same result: it did not complete and I interrupted it.

I can live with having to click three times when I start up the trial version (it's free, after all) so you don't have to spend more time on this.
I trust the purchased version will work differently should we choose H&M.

Thanks,
Dorte
Tim Green
Site Admin

HI Dorte,

This is all quite strange. What Windows version are you running?

If possible, please try installing on a different computer temporarily to see if you get the same problem there. It is likely that you won't.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dorte,

Our developers have checked into this extensively and Help+Manual itself definitely never tries to call this DLL. Physically the only possibility here is that some other program is also involved -- most likely version control or one of its components.

However, it is also possible that you have an update or configuration problem in your Windows installation. Please see this page here for details.

Here too, installing Help+Manual on a different computer before trying any of the solutions suggested there would be a good way to confirm that the problem is on your specific computer.
Regards,

Private support:
Dorte Jacobsen

Hi Tim,

I appreciate the efforts you guys put into solving the issue.
The OS is Windows 7, SP1, 64-bit.
I do not currently have another computer available to install on.
I'll just live with the annoyance during the trial peiod.

Thanks,
Dorte
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dorte,

Are you using any version control software, like Subversion, Team Foundation Server or Git?

What other software do you have running at the same time as Help+Manual, particulary in the background? Important types of software that can cause problems
  • Third-party commercial antivirus programs not from Microsoft (these frequently cause all kinds of problems).
  • Any programs that change the way Windows works or looks, like Window Blinds.
  • Dictation software like Dragon Naturally Speaking, which often interfere with the way Windows works.
  • Any other kind of program that does constant work in the background or runs all the time to offer some kind of additional services not normally available in Windows
Regards,

Private support:
Dorte Jacobsen

Hi Tim,

I have the Subversion client, TortoiseSVN, installed but so far I've only used it to pull documents on a few occasions. I'm not yet using it with H&M.

Background programs:
McAfee
CapaInstaller (I think this is used by our external IT to mange remote installs)
Netop Host (same as the above: used by our external IT to mange remote installs)
PureText (I use this to copy from, for example Word, and paste in plain text)
Yammer notifier
Cisco AnyConnect
Skype for Business

Any of these sound *suspicious* to you?

Dorte
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dorte,
I have the Subversion client, TortoiseSVN, installed but so far I've only used it to pull documents on a few occasions. I'm not yet using it with H&M.
Please follow the instructions on this page to update Tortoise to 1.9.4 and to add the Collabnet 32-bit command line client that adds the missing components that Tortoise has removed in recent versions:

http://news.helpandmanual.com/2016/08/r ... toise-svn/

I don't think any of the programs you list there is really suspicious. McAffee is a monster of a program that massively reduces your computer's performance, but you probably don't have any choice regarding that. Microsoft's own Windows Defender antivirus that comes with Windows is a much better choice, since it is properly integrated in Windows instead of shoehorning itself in everywhere like McAffee and the others -- and it doesn't have a profit motive for scaring you.

Skype can be problematic if you have activated its feature that automagically identifies phone numbers in any other program window and makes them clickable. That is often buggy and interferes with all kinds of things. I would turn that off if possible.
Regards,

Private support:
Dorte Jacobsen

Hi Tim,

I have Tortoise 1.9.4 installed, I never had 1.9.3 installed.

Thanks,
Dorte
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dorte Jacobsen wrote:I have Tortoise 1.9.4 installed, I never had 1.9.3 installed.
Do you also have the Collabnet 32-bit command line client? If you don't, it won't work with Help+Manual, because 64-bit Tortoise 1.9.4 is now missing the key DLL required for the integrated support of SVN for 32-bit programs like Help+Manual, and it is no longer available from Tortoise.
Regards,

Private support:
Dorte Jacobsen

Hi Tim,

I installed according to the instructions on the page you provided link to, the 32-bit 1.9.4 client.

The error message still insists on showing three times, though.
In H&M i've tried
1) Leaving the Subversion settings as they are by default
2) Pointing directly to the folder that your instructions mention
3) Disabling Subversion support
but all with the same result.

For good measure, I also tried re-starting my computer.

Don't spend any more time on this - I can easily live with the three extra clicks for now!

Best regards,
Dorte