H&M 6.5 unusable on 4K Monitor

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Robert Nash

H&M 6.5 unusable on 4K Monitor

Unread post by Robert Nash »

I have a 4 monitor under Windows 10 with scaling up to 200%.

Most apps behave well, except H & M 6.5, which does not seem to let Windows do the scaling, resulting in a tiny interface which can only be read with a magnifying glass.

Can anyone give me tips on how to scale it back to usability? Is there a setting somewhere? Do I need to upgrade?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: H&M 6.5 unusable on 4K Monitor

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Robert,

HM6 does have basic support for hi-res monitors but it is not the full support that you have in Help+Manual 7. First check with Help > About and make sure you're on the current 6.5.6 Build 3027 version and download the installer here if you need to update:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver

The instructions below will enable you to optimize the display as far as possible in HM6. Once you have set the DPI virtualization setting, you can increase the scaling of the editor window content by increasing the scaling setting in the Windows screen configuration. However, if you have a 4K monitor with small dimensions (anything less than the 27 inches) this may not be enough for you. If it isn't, you will need an upgrade to HM7, which supports real zoom and is optimized throughout for high-res displays.

1) Adjust the size of the user interface elements:

Select the Text Size option in the View tab to increase the size of the user interface components, table of contents and the Configuration settings and dialogs.

2) Increase the DPI setting for the content in the editor window:

Click on the DPI button in the taskbar at the lower right below the editor window to change the DPI setting from 96 dpi (standard size text) to 120 dpi (larger sized text). If the text is large enough for you when you do this, don't go on to step 3. Only activate Windows DPI virtualization if the text is still too small to work with.

3) Activate Windows DPI virtualization for Help & Manual:

Select Program Options in the View tab, and in the General Options section turn on the option Activate DPI virtualization on ultra-high resolution displays and then close and restart Help & Manual to apply the setting.This will allow the entire content of the Help & Manual window to scale with the Windows screen settings. There may be a little fuzziness compared to the previous setting, but it will still be a lot easier to work with on hi-res devices.

Warning: Windows DPI Virtualization disables the Help & Manual Screen Capture Tool:
Turning on Windows DPI virtualization disables the Help & Manual screen capture tool, because objects on the scaled screen can no longer be identified normally. The Windows Snipping Tool will be started instead in this mode.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert Nash

Unread post by Robert Nash »

Thank you, that helped. I did not have the 6.5.5 update yet.
I turned on dpi virtulization and everything is fine.

Does this handle printing and CHM/PDF generation correctly?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Robert Nash wrote:Does this handle printing and CHM/PDF generation correctly?
Those should not be changed from their normal performance in Help+Manual 6.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.