Duplicated Topic ID's

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

wendy porter

Duplicated Topic ID's

Unread post by wendy porter »

It's been a while since I've used the help and manual software. I have some old topics that I copied from one chapter to another but have an identical topic ID, when I then update any text within one topic it's automatically updated on the other.

I have created some new topics and cannot have identical topic ID's any longer, this means that if i amend the text in one of the topics I will have to duplicate this by amending on the other one as well.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Duplicated Topic ID's

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Wendy,
I have some old topics that I copied from one chapter to another but have an identical topic ID, when I then update any text within one topic it's automatically updated on the other.
You don't actually have duplicate IDs at all then: You have two TOC entries pointing to the same topic file. See here for details:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ltiref.htm

If you really had duplicate IDs on separate topics you wouldn't get identical edits in both, and you would have serious errors when publishing. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
wendy porter

Re: Duplicated Topic ID's

Unread post by wendy porter »

Many thanks for your prompt reply, I knew I'd done it somehow it was just a long time ago.... :) I couldn't do it via adding a new topic as TOC option wasn't there but it's worked fine using drag and drop. Thanks again