CHM output corrupt

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

CHM output corrupt

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi,

I moved my H&M installation from one computer to another, means I installed 7.2 4025 on the new computer and am about to abandon the old installation.

Just about in time I found that CHM output is not working correctly. All other formats (PDF, Webhelp) have no issues.
The latest and 'greatest' chm compiler from the H&M website has been installed and the compilation gives no errors in the report. Still when opening the CHM it says on every page (sorry german)

Der Wert der Eigenschaft "$" ist NUll oder undefiniert, kein Function-Objekt
Code:0
URL: mk:@MSITStore usw....

As anyone who reports a problem: I have not done anything unusual :-)
As I am suspecting the help compiler I have reinstalled to no avail...
Also I could have sworn this is a deja-vu, but my brain is getting older...

Thanks,

/Gerold
julio

Re: CHM output corrupt

Unread post by julio »

This is usually a JavaScript error regarding jQuery library, which is always embedded in H&M. As jQuery defines this symbol ($) for use everywhere, there is probably a piece of code inside this file loading before jQuery, hence the error. But this is definitely not an error you should see, please check the topic file or else the HTML Page Template for this topic (Configuration - HTML Page Templates).
Gerold Krommer wrote:Hi,

I moved my H&M installation from one computer to another, means I installed 7.2 4025 on the new computer and am about to abandon the old installation.

Just about in time I found that CHM output is not working correctly. All other formats (PDF, Webhelp) have no issues.
The latest and 'greatest' chm compiler from the H&M website has been installed and the compilation gives no errors in the report. Still when opening the CHM it says on every page (sorry german)

Der Wert der Eigenschaft "$" ist NUll oder undefiniert, kein Function-Objekt
Code:0
URL: mk:@MSITStore usw....

As anyone who reports a problem: I have not done anything unusual :-)
As I am suspecting the help compiler I have reinstalled to no avail...
Also I could have sworn this is a deja-vu, but my brain is getting older...

Thanks,

/Gerold
Gerold Krommer

Thanks,

I moved the project back to my old installation and the output is fine there, so it cannot be the content of the manual.

Kind regards,

/Gerold
Gerold Krommer

False alarm insofar as when I copy the working .chm from source to target system it exhibits the same problems.

So it must be the environment not H&M or the help compiler. But it used to work before with other chms.... so the user said...

I go and ask Dr. Google and let you know of any findings

Thanks,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Gerold Krommer wrote:False alarm insofar as when I copy the working .chm from source to target system it exhibits the same problems.
The first thing to check is whether the file is blocked. When you copy CHM files to different devices or send them by mail Windows usually blocks them because of their potential to transport malware. Right-click on the CHM file in Windows Explorer and select Properties. If there is an "unblock" option at the bottom of the Properties dialog apply it.

That probably isn't the problem here because blocked CHMs don't show errors, they just don't display any content. What the message you are getting means is that the main jQuery object is unrecognized, which means that jQuery hasn't initialized at all. However, jQuery is actually included in the CHM itself, so it isn't that it is unavailable. The most likely cause is that the configuration of Internet Explorer on the new machine is restricting scripting in some way that is preventing jQuery from initializing. (The Microsoft CHM Viewer uses the embeddable version of IE to display the HTML pages, and it uses all the same settings as the regular IE on your machine.)

If you continue to have problems you can mail the project and your skin to us at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it for you, to make sure that there is nothing there that is causing the issues. However, it sounds like it is most likely that it is being caused by the JavaScript environment on the new machine.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.