Internal ZIP failure

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kif Taco

Internal ZIP failure

Unread post by Kif Taco »

Hello,

This morning I worked in H&M as usual and I started receiving the following message whenever I tried to copy text from one topic to another and save the project:

Due to an internal ZIP failure the project cannot be flushed correctly (screenshot attached).

The project looked saved (grey 'save' icon) but it wasn't. I tried to copy the same text indirectly using Notepad and it worked. Do you know what might be the problem? I haven't experienced this issue until today and now it happens all the time.

Thank you in advance...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kif Taco

Re: Internal ZIP failure

So some additional information. I also tarted receiving a message that the topic I'm currently working on is either corrupted or locked by another user. I tried to create a new topic, gave it a different name, copied the text from the "corrupted" one to the newly created one and the same error occurred after a while for the newly created topic. The file cannot be corrupted if I am able to work on it and save it without any issues for about 10 minutes before it crashes with one of these errors.
Kif Taco

So I figured out it happens all the time no matter if I paste text or type it. Plus one more error message joined the party (screenshot attached).

Just fyi I am using H&M on a remote desktop. But I have been using it like that for the last 4 months without any trouble.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Your file name appears to contain a space (between ...10 EN....).

I've no idea if that is the cause of this problem, but having spaces in a file name/path is an extremely risky thing to do and will always come back and bite you at some stage.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kif,

Working on a remote desktop is fine as long as the data you are working on is also on the remote machine. Never try to edit across a remote connection (program at one end and data at the other end). That is practically a guarantee for data corruption and loss sooner rather than later. However it has happened, it sounds as though your project is damaged so you need to recover and get your data across to a fresh project.

If your project is HMXZ (single file compressed) copy it to your local computer, change the file extension to .zip and unpack it with a zip utility. Then create a new uncompressed project (HMXP) and copy all the topic files you can access from the old project to the new one, i.e. from the Topics folder of the old project to the Topics folder of the new one. If the TOC file in the Maps folder is undamaged you can copy that to the Maps folder of the new project as well. Otherwise, when you open the new project you will then find the topics in Project Files > Topic Files and you can create TOC entries for them by dragging them into the TOC with the mouse.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kif Taco

Thanks Martin and Tim,

Thanks for your tips. But I now know what caused the problem. The confusing part was that I received those error messages suggesting that my file is corrupted or someone else locked it. In fact there was a lack of space on the virtual hard drive (the one where H&M is installed, not the one where I store my project). At least that's how I understand it. Our admin cleaned some space and that solved the issue. The file was neither corrupted nor locked by anybody else.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Kip,

Thanks for the information. Could you confirm that you were working with an uncompressed (.hmxp, multiple files) project and not a compressed one (.hmxz, single file)?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kif Taco

Hi Tim,

Uncompressed. The file name + extension are visible on the screenshots from May 11th 7:30.

Best regards,
Tim Green
Site Admin

Kif Taco wrote:Uncompressed. The file name + extension are visible on the screenshots from May 11th 7:30.
Thanks. I saw those, I just wanted to make absolutely sure in case you might have been using other projects as well, because the zip message is a little strange in an uncompressed project. 8)
Regards,

Private support: