Word templates

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

dcraggs

Word templates

Unread post by dcraggs »

Hi,

Having trouble with word templates. The contents are not being generated.

The content page in the published doc looks like this:

CONTENTS
Enter your company name and EC Software GmbH 1
1. <%CHAPTER_HEADING1%> 3
1.1. <%CHAPTER_HEADING2%> 3
1.1.1. <%CHAPTER_HEADING3%> 3

To demonstrate I created a blank project leaving the defaults, then I published using the simple A4 template. The main doc was fine but not the contents.

Thanks

Dave Craggs
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Word templates

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

If the template is working correctly the TOC should be a standard Word contents field and it is normal for it to be displayed as you show. To turn it into contents just right-click on it in Word and select "Update Field". When the docx document first opens in Word you should also see an "Enable Content" option at the top, which you should click on.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
dcraggs

Unread post by dcraggs »

Ah I see. Is there anyway the fields could be automatically updated after publishing?

Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

dcraggs wrote:Ah I see. Is there anyway the fields could be automatically updated after publishing?
This is normally the case. It happens when you click on the Enable Content button when opening the Word file after publishing, if you set it to open automatically. Then Help+Manual generates some Word macros in a linked document that do this for you.

See here for some more details: http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... macros.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
dcraggs

Unread post by dcraggs »

OK thanks for that.

Dave
julio

Unread post by julio »

dcraggs wrote:Ah I see. Is there anyway the fields could be automatically updated after publishing?

Dave
If you save all docs to a single location, you can add that location to Trust Center. In Word, click File - Options - Trust Center - Trust Center Settings. Select the Trusted Locations item and click Add new location.