Cannot store after moving project to SVN

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Thorsten Schmelzer

Cannot store after moving project to SVN

Unread post by Thorsten Schmelzer »

Hi,

I am using Win7 64 bit and I have TortoiseSVN 1.8.1 64 bit installed (I know quite old version). I have read that there are some problems with versions above 1.9.2.
So I have bound my Help and Manual Project successfully to a repository on a server. I could also commit additional files, like graphics. I can also checkout the project to a different folder on my PC.
But now when I do some changes to my project and try to save the following error appears (see also attached screenshot)
"File "C_C++_Developerguide.hmxp" could not be committed. Reason: 'C:\Workspace\devtest\C_C++_Developerguide.hmxp' is already under version control"

Changing the files in the Windows Explorer just works fine.

If I should try a newer SVN version, to which version I should switch? 1.9.2?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Cannot store after moving project to SVN

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Thorsten,

SVN 1.8.1 should work fine, so long as both Tortoise and your SVN server are on the same version. Is it possible that you have more than one SVN client installed, i.e. not just Tortoise? Or that you have more than one version control system installed? However, if Tortoise is 1.8.1 and the SVN server is newer then you could have problems. Tortoise versions are designed to match the server versions.
If I should try a newer SVN version, to which version I should switch? 1.9.2?
It is absolutely fine to switch to 1.9.4, which is the current version. You just need to download an additional small runtime client (just 6MB) for command line access by 32-bit programs like Help+Manual from Collabnet. This is necessary because Tortoise no longer includes this client with its 64-bit distribution. You can find the instructions here:

http://news.helpandmanual.com/2016/08/r ... toise-svn/

It is really very simple and trouble-free. You just run the installer and that's it. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Thorsten Schmelzer

Hi Tim,

indeed I found out that I have other SVN clients installed on my machine (through Eclipse), thanks for the hint. I tried to explicitly select the TortoiseSVN through the H&M Program options. But it turns out that the installed 1.8.1 does not have the slibsvn_client-1.dll installed H&M is searching for. I will try to use the latest TortoiseSVN as provided by your link. I'll report back, when the version is installed.
Thorsten Schmelzer

So I have updated to TortoiseSVN 1.9.5 and also installed the CollabNet Client. But the problem still persisted after the installation of the new versions. But it turns out that there was no problem with the subversion version.

As you can see in the screenshot my project file contained '+' letters in the file name. This seems to cause the problem. I have renamed my project file to 'C_CPP_Developerguide.hmxp' and everything works as expected.

So maybe there is a bug in H&M in handling such a filename, because working with the external Tortoise worked with that file name. But it could also be a general problem in the SVN libs.
Anyways, thanks for your support.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for reporting this! We just checked and have discovered that there is a problem with the internal SVN processing when files contain one or more + characters. We're working on it for the next maintenance update, but for the moment please just avoid that character in project and file names.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.