Referencing text in another topic

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Erich Carshagen

Referencing text in another topic

Unread post by Erich Carshagen »

We have quite a large help file and in some cases we refer to other parts of the help. Is it possible to quote text from on topic in a new topic, i.e. if i view the new topic, i will see the text entered in a prior topic, and if this text is updated, it is auto updated in the new topic?

The file that we generate is currently CHM...

Thanks
Erich Carshagen

Re: Referencing text in another topic

Snippet tool! that allows me to bring in the whole topic! So from the screen, i see that we have to create smaller topic and then build a large topic like using this function. This is great, but we just want to reference some texts from a topic that is updated. Is it suggested that the larger topics are split into smaller ones and then Snippet'ed together?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Erich Carshagen wrote:Is it suggested that the larger topics are split into smaller ones and then Snippet'ed together?
That is the way to do it if you want the referenced texts to update automatically. At the moment it's not possible to use subsets of topics as snippets, it is always the full snippet file (either a topic or a dedicated snippet file). See this topic in the help for full instructions:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ippets.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Erich Carshagen

Thanks Tim, thought that was the case. We will be rebuilding our help into a web help from CHM. We will then utilise this! Thanks again.