Chapter names in Header

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tansy

Chapter names in Header

Unread post by Tansy »

Hi
I want my headers to include chapter names up to heading level 3, dot-separated. For example:

Superproduct. Overview. General layout.

When I use the variables in the header field in the Manual designer, it looks like this: <%HEADING1%>. <%HEADING2%>. <%HEADING3%>
It works if the chapter has Heading level 1, 2 and 3. But if it has only heading level 1, the Header looks like this: Superproduct. .
How do I remove the dots in the Header?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Chapter names in Header

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tansy,

This can't be avoided if you try to do that. Really, however, you should only ever use level 1 variables in the header and footer of PDF pages, because they are the only ones that are always valid. If you are on a page where there is only content from a level 1 topic, variables from lower levels are invalid. The bottom line is that PDF output doesn't currently have support for breadcrumb navigation like this. It's best to just show the main sections (level 1) and main project title in the header or footer. Sorry about that... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tansy

Unread post by Tansy »

Thank you Tim. Will use just Heading 1 then.
Gunilla Svanfeldt

Unread post by Gunilla Svanfeldt »

Hi,
I have a similar issue since I would like to also see the chapter and subsection numbering in the pdf header, for example:

1 Introduction
1.3 Product description

With the current functionality I then get (in the first few pages of chapter 1, until I reach 1.1):

1 Introduction

My best workaround so far is to not repeat the chapter number in the second row, thus:

1 Introduction
3 Product description

But this is not optimal and not very intuitive at first sight.
Do you have any plans on adding functionality for breadcrumbs in headers?

Best regards,
Gunilla
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gunilla,
Do you have any plans on adding functionality for breadcrumbs in headers?
Sorry, not for PDF at the moment. Our recommendation is to keep the PDF headers simple -- more than the main chapter title is really not needed there. Remember that a PDF is not an electronic document, it is really just a representation of a paper printout and there is not all that much space for complex things at the top of the page. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.