In-line Editing in Web Help?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Lindsay Colahan

In-line Editing in Web Help?

Unread post by Lindsay Colahan »

Hello,

Has anyone been able to get in-line editing to work with Help & Manual web help output, either using code in a project file or a skin? I am just having a fantasy right now that involves me being able to publish a separate version of my web help for my SMEs to edit and review....
Martin Wynne

Re: In-line Editing in Web Help?

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Lindsay Colahan wrote:Has anyone been able to get in-line editing to work with Help & Manual web help output, either using code in a project file or a skin? I am just having a fantasy right now that involves me being able to publish a separate version of my web help for my SMEs to edit and review....
Hi Lindsay,

They would need a copy of H&M, or access to one, in order edit your project directly.

However, if you add an additional div wrapper to your HTML page template like this:

Code: Select all

<div contenteditable="true">
<%TOPIC_TEXT%>
</div>
they would be able to edit the Webhelp pages directly in their browser.

You could agree a marker such as "###" to indicate where they have modified the content, or made notes. They would then do File > Save As... to save the page as an HTML file and return it to you. You then search for the ### markers, and update your project accordingly.

Alternatively you could use a diff tool such as WinMerge (free) to find their changes. This avoids any problems if they forget to add the marker and you don't notice their change.

Remember to remove the div lines before publishing the final version.

If you want to go to town, you could add some additional scripting to capture say CTRL+B keys, and add say style bold to the currently selected content. Or whatever you want. In some browsers you can use

Code: Select all

document.designMode = "on";
to provide more editing options. I can post some sample code if you wish.

regards,

Martin.
Lindsay Colahan

Unread post by Lindsay Colahan »

Hello Martin,

If you could provide some more sample code for some of the things your mentioning, that would be amazing. We are a small organization and only have a limited number of H & M licenses. However, we have a huge number of SMEs, so there are often issues with this.

Would I add the div wrapper to the skin? Or is it another html page template that you are referring to?

Lindsay
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Lindsay Colahan wrote:Would I add the div wrapper to the skin? Or is it another html page template that you are referring to?
Hi Lindsay,

That goes in the skin if you are using one. I will post some more code examples later today.

regards,

Martin.