compiler messages indicators

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mcgraf

compiler messages indicators

Unread post by mcgraf »

When we compile, our projects typically have several screens' worth of compiler messages. It is difficult to see what is what as the icons we've encountered are the same, but the message text indicates something additional is off. It is difficult to catch the errors (a linked topic is missing, for example) from the expected results (silently included links, for example).

I am asking for some additional ways to show differences between the compiler messages so as to see them more easily when scrolling the list. Bonus would be able to sort or filter on message types.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: compiler messages indicators

Unread post by Tim Green »

You can already filter the messages in the compiler output, this may help you.

View > Program Options > Compilers:
compilermessages.png
You can also save the compiler report to an HTML file with the button above the report and then filter it in an editor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mcgraf

Unread post by mcgraf »

I had forgotten about that setting.

The errors are easy to identify.
errors.png
I've already told the application to silently include links, so those warnings are not warnings but the expected result. However, when there is a problem with the silently-included link, then I need to address it. Those are the ones that are harder to see. Excluding warnings globally will not tell me what I need to know about the compilation.
warnings.png
True, I could save the results and search for "undefined" in another application. It'd be easier - for me :) to have it inside H&M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the details. We're looking into ways of improving this. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.