FALSE ALARM sthing awry with project - Word output goobered

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

FALSE ALARM sthing awry with project - Word output goobered

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Found the issue. I have to completely close Word - all documents - before the Publish action works.

The good news is that it works. I have the output I need.

The following is for historical interest only (it's my original post)
When I try to publish as a Word DOCX (trying 4 different skins/DOCX templates), I get this:

WebHelp output is fine. PDF is fine.

Are there any tests, scans, or tools that I can use on my end?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: FALSE ALARM sthing awry with project - Word output goobe

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

This is actually a known issue that has already been corrected for the upcoming maintenance update. It took a while to figure it out because the templates are being actively disabled by Windows in the background.

What is happening is that Windows is treating all "unpacked" files of certain formats, including CHM and DOCX, as "downloaded potentially dangerous files" and is blocking them by default. When HM unpacks the templates while installing Windows blocks them, and you get these unhelpful errors when you try to use them.

What you can do to fix this before the update is this:
  1. Make a copy of the template you want to use, for example in your project folder.
  2. Right-click on it in Windows Explorer and select Properties.
  3. Look down in the lower area of the Properties dialog and apply the Unblock option you see there, then select apply/OK and close the dialog.
After that the template should work normally.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

What version of Word has the Unblock option? Nothing on any of the tabs (including 'security') has anything near this in Word 2010.

Closest is that none of the users has Special Permissions and Home User is not allowed full control or modify. My (administrator) sign-in, System, and Administrators all have full control, modify, read & execute, read and write.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Unblock is an Operating System function, not Word. Right-click on any file in Explorer, select 'properties' and if it is 'blocked' there will be a option on the first tab to unblock it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dave Gehman wrote:What version of Word has the Unblock option? Nothing on any of the tabs (including 'security') has anything near this in Word 2010.
This has nothing to do with Word. Windows blocks the files. You need to use Windows Explorer to locate the DOCX template files. Then right-click on a template file and select "Properties" in the context menu. At the bottom of the context menu dialog you will see an unblock option.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

That's where I was - right-clicked from Explorer on a copy of the template. Sorry, thought the properties were being dredged up from Word.

Windows 10 Professional 64. V. 1703 OS Build 15063.729