CHM -- embed 3D PDF

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

CHM -- embed 3D PDF

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi,
I'm currently trying to figure out how to embed a 3D PDF in a CHM help file.

What's the best approach?
Ideally the user would see a small preview picture of the 3D PDF. If the user clicks on it, the animation in the 3D PDF should play.
The PDF should be distributed within the CHM.
Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: CHM -- embed 3D PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

What is a "3D" PDF? Since Microsoft's CHM system has not been updated or bug-fixed since it was released with Windows 98 it's very unlikely it will swallow anything particularly unusual. :mrgreen:

Embedding a normal PDF in a CHM is easy.You just need to add the PDF file to your "Baggage Files" to compile it into the CHM and then link to it using Internet links with a special syntax:

1: Add PDF to your baggage
In the Project Explorer, go to Project Files > Baggage Files > Baggage and select "Add File" in Topics > Manage Topics in the Project tab and add the PDF file to the Baggage. This will pack the PDF into the CHM in your output.

2: Create your links
Select the Link tool in the Write tab to create a link in the Help & Manual editor and select the option "Internet Link". Set the "Target Window" option to "Same as referring topic". This is essential, it won't work without this setting. Then enter the link in the Address: field using the following syntax:

Open PDF inside the CHM viewer
ms-its:helpfile.chm::/filename.pdf

IMPORTANT: Set the target of the Internet link to be the same as the topic containing the link. Otherwise it won't work.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

A 3D PDF is used, e.g. to show a CAD simulation of a machine. It could be a 3D view of the machine which you can zoom in and out, and if it contains a recording of movements, play/pause functionality etc.

The example you gave works -- helps to have the CHM named the same as the H&M file :-)

I inserted an image (initial view when the PDF is opened) and added the link as described. When I click on the image, the PDF is displayed in a new page with the help TOC on the left.

Would it be possible to have the PDF display in the same page as the original topic -- iframe?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

John Johann wrote:I inserted an image (initial view when the PDF is opened) and added the link as described. When I click on the image, the PDF is displayed in a new page with the help TOC on the left.
Would it be possible to have the PDF display in the same page as the original topic -- iframe?
That IS the same page as the original topic. In the CHM viewer you only get one topic pane on the right. If you display the PDF there then it replaces the topic. You might be able to put it in an iFrame with some acrobatics but I really don't recommend it.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Placing the PDF file in the Baggage folder and inserting in the page via Edit HTML Code and placing in an <object> tag seems to work.

Not quite sure if this is an ideal solution.