Hidden topics

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Suzette Seveny

Hidden topics

Unread post by Suzette Seveny »

My older help projects had pop up topics that were set up as "hidden" topics and didn't appear in the TOC. How can I set those up in H&M 7?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Hidden topics

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Suzette,

Hidden or "invisible" topics are really just topics that don't have a TOC entry. To create one just select the Project Files > Topic Files section and create the topic there. Then it will be created without a TOC entry automatically. (You may want to create a folder there for that type of topic file first -- that doesn't change your project structure but it makes it easier for you to organize.)

If you need to remove a TOC entry for a topic you can do that too. Select the topic in the TOC and press Delete. In the dialog displayed, disable the option for deleting the associated topic file as well on the lower left. Then only the TOC entry will be deleted.

See this topic and the following one in the help for more detailed instructions on creating popups in Help+Manual 7:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... popups.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Suzette Seveny

Thanks Tim, can I use pop up windows in a hotspot for an image?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Suzette Leeming wrote:Thanks Tim, can I use pop up windows in a hotspot for an image?
Yes, of course. That's just a normal topic link. So long as the topic file is defined as a popup and doesn't have a TOC entry, then it will be a popup. Having a TOC entry disables the popup definition, however.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Suzette Seveny

I must be doing something wrong then. I have a topic set up as a Popup, without a TOC entry. When I try to link to it in the hotspot, the Popup option is not there; just Same Window.

When I tried to create the Popup window template though, it's html and I'm not sure what I should be changing.
Tim Green
Site Admin

You don't need to create a popup window template. Please delete it.
  1. Create the topic in the Topic Files section (NOT in the TOC).
  2. In its topic options change the Topic Class: to Popup (this will only be available if the topic really doesn't have a TOC entry.
  3. Don't touch the HTML Page Template: setting. Not necessary, since no templates are used for popups. (Projects that have a popup template were probably created with an earlier version of HM.
  4. Link to the topic with a normal topic link.
Regards,

Private support:
Suzette Seveny

Thank you so much! You're right, I'm used to dealing with "old style" popups. This is so much easier. My popup window has a grey bar at the top with a title that I'd rather it didn't have, but I can make that work until I find out how to use a pop up window without that (if possible).

I can't thank you enough for your help!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Suzette Leeming wrote:Thank you so much! You're right, I'm used to dealing with "old style" popups. This is so much easier. My popup window has a grey bar at the top with a title that I'd rather it didn't have, but I can make that work until I find out how to use a pop up window without that (if possible).
The popups with the title bar mean that you're using a Premium Pack skin. That is necessary because they are draggable -- you can drag them with the title bar, and also resize them with the bottom right corner. That can't be changed and you shouldn't try to. 8)
Regards,

Private support: