Editing Snippets

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob Davis

Editing Snippets

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Hi
I created a snippet by selecting part of a Topic, going to the File drop-down in the Explore icon on the ribbon, and selecting 'Save Snippet'.

I've used the snippet in a number of projects, always using the 'linked' option.

How can I edit the snippet in the editor? (so that I can use your great WYSIWYG editor - I am NOT HTML-capable)!
I have not been able to open the snippet directly
The only way I have found has been to change the link to Copy, edit and then Save again as a snippet.

Am I missing something simple? (Wouldn't be the first time!)

Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Editing Snippets

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rob,

The best way to deal with this is to store the snippets in an uncompressed HMXP project of their own. This is easy to do: You just create an empty HMXP project and save all your snippets in the \Topics folder of that project. You can do this directly -- they will then appear in the Topic Files section automatically when you open the project. You can organize their editing by dragging them into the TOC to create TOC entries for them. Then you just add the \Topics folder of that project to the search paths of the projects where you are using the snippets, making sure that the entries come before any other folders where snippets with the same names might be stored (those should be moved away from there anyway).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.