youtube video embeds and suffix "rel=0"

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

MitchBearden

youtube video embeds and suffix "rel=0"

Unread post by MitchBearden »

Hi there!

I recently noticed that our users get a script error when trying to play embedded youtube videos in our published help manual.
It seems to be linked to a suffix that automatically pops in : "?rel=0"

I.E - i'll copy paste this link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Here8wT0URY into the video link in H&M.
H&M will automatically add "?rel=0" to the end of it. I can't save the link without that suffix, so H&M seems hardcoded to behave this way.

I think that suffix is causing our issues. How can i get H&M to stop adding that suffix to my youtube vids?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: youtube video embeds and suffix "rel=0"

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mitch,

You don't say what output format you're using but I'm guessing that it's CHM because that is the format I get a script error in when I test it. It seems that something has changed in the way YouTube is being handled in CHM, at least on Windows 10. It's not the suffix on the URL, it happens without it as well. We'll look into it and I'll get back to you here when I know more. :)

For the moment you can work around this by just posting a normal Internet link to the YouTube video, which will then play normally in the user's browser.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
julio

Unread post by julio »

I have noticed a strange behavior on CHMs after updating to Windows 10 version 1803.17134.81. The hhc.exe file (CHM compiler) simply disappeared from C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop and hence all builds failed. I reinstalled it using your installer (thanks!) and everything went back to normal. As I use that compiler every day, there is no reason for me to delete it, even accidentally, so I assume this was that update's fault. When checking on Microsoft's Windows updates page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4103721), there is an item stating:
  • Security updates to Windows Server, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft scripting engine, Windows app platform and frameworks, Windows kernel, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows storage and filesystems, HTML help, and Windows Hyper-V.
Which I believe is the one to blame. But of course this is only my opinion, I just wanted to register it here because someone else may have the same problem.
Tim Green wrote:Hi Mitch,

You don't say what output format you're using but I'm guessing that it's CHM because that is the format I get a script error in when I test it. It seems that something has changed in the way YouTube is being handled in CHM, at least on Windows 10. It's not the suffix on the URL, it happens without it as well. We'll look into it and I'll get back to you here when I know more. :)

For the moment you can work around this by just posting a normal Internet link to the YouTube video, which will then play normally in the user's browser.
MitchBearden

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply...
and judging by Julio's response beneath....i guess no one's surprised the 1803 windows 10 update broke this as well....it's wreaked havoc on everyone.
Unfortunate!!

And yes, you're correct. this issue exists in the .chm format. I also export to html which is still fine.
Thank you for looking into it.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hello Mitch,

It seems that YouTube has recently dropped support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 9... Because this is what causes the bug.

The &rel=0 paramter is not the problem. H&M simply creates a iFrame and specifies the embedding URL. The code is simple and has been widely tested.

But in CHM files, the web browser is MSIE and by default it is MSIE emulating IE7 (yes, version 7). When Help+Manual creates a CHM file, we elevate each HTML page to IE-9 by default, because IE9 had the minimum functionality required for the javascripts that we use in H&M in CHM files. It also worked for YouTube. But not anymore, as it seems.

What you need to do is to change your HTML page templates. If you publish the CHM file with a skin, open the skin file in H&M and change the HTML source as shown below. If you do publish your CHM without a skin, make this change directly in your help project.
helpman-pagetemplate-ie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
MitchBearden

Yeesh, i meant to post a followup to all of this when I made the change. But your solutions seems to have fixed it. thank you!!