How to display a current page address rather than site addr

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Iness Green

How to display a current page address rather than site addr

Unread post by Iness Green »

Hi!

I have Help & Manual 6 Professional Edition.

In a skin file that I use for HTML and WEB help there is a <frameset> tag which hides the address of the page where a visitor is and always displays a website address.
Could you, please help me on how can I display the address of a current page rather than a website address? Or navigate me to the forum topic if any.

For now, I can propose:
1) edit a skin file and replace <frame> with <div>, but not sure. It seems too much work.
2) write a script to simulate right-click which opens a page in a new tab and displays a page address rather than a website address. Not sure either.

So, maybe there is not so complex alternative.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to display a current page address rather than site a

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Iness,

This is not possible in the standard skins, but it is done automatically in all the skins in the Premium Pack add-on, which you can learn about here:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/products_hm_pluspack.html

The reason for this is that the unchanging display in the URL in the standard skins is actually correct. Because WebHelp must display such a wide diversity of data in a single page the topics are not opened directly. Doing this would make it necessary to reload everything for every topic -- table of contents, index page, search page and the topic itself and all their assets, which would make for a very slow experience. Instead, the user never leaves the index.html page. New topics are loaded into an iFrame in the index.html page without changing any of the other data on the page. This is much more efficient, but it does not change the address of the page.

The Premium Pack skins solve this problem in two different ways: the traditional V2 skins that still use iFrames use HTML 5 URL rewriting with the History object to change the URL in the Address: bar without reloading the entire page (which would normally happen). The new V3 skins are frameless and fully dynamic, rewriting the entire content of the page and the URL for much faster browsing,
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Iness Green

Hi Tim!
Thanks for the complete answer.

If I've got it clear, the Premium Pack goes with H&M 7, or I can buy it for my H&M6?
Or maybe I can upgrade my H&M6 to H&M 7 with Premium Pack?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Iness Green wrote:If I've got it clear, the Premium Pack goes with H&M 7, or I can buy it for my H&M6?
Or maybe I can upgrade my H&M6 to H&M 7 with Premium Pack?
Like HM6, the old Premium Pack for HM6 is no longer sold and since it is no longer under development I wouldn't recommend starting with it. The best option really would be to upgrade, then you will also get a bundle price on the Premium Pack:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/order.htm ... on=upgrade
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Iness Green

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer.

I've downloaded and installed a trial H&M 7 with Premium Pack to test it. But I'm able to use only one skin and unable to test other skins :( Well, actually, I can see them locally, but when I deploy a project to my server I see the only one same skin.
Should the trial work this way? And how can I test other skins -- not locally -- on a server (I have to hook a localization tool to my doc, so I need to test it on a server).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Iness,

The trial version of Help+Manual 7 includes demo versions of the skins from the Premium Pack. Those are all the skins with the word DEMO in their names. These demo versions are internally encrypted so you can't configure them, but both the V3 and V2 WebHelp skins here will show you the full URL of each topic in the browser Address: field. You can do this both by selecting the Publish option to display the WebHelp after publishing (then it will be displayed in your default browser with Help+Manual's own local web server) or by putting the contents of the output folder in a folder on your own web server and accessing it there.
Regards,

Private support: