PDF Output

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bunnyslippers

PDF Output

Unread post by bunnyslippers »

Hello,

I am using H&M4 on a new computer. Previously, on my old computer, I had H&M4 as well as Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat Reader, and I was able to see my PDF output in either of those applications. Now, I don't have either of those applications, and when I produce a PDF, it opens in Chrome (my browser). When I look in Windows Explorer, it shows the PDF file as having the type of chrome.exe.

Now for some people when trying to view the PDF, they notice some screen shots are not displaying and instead they see a box with a red X in place of the graphic file.

How can I get the screen shots to display properly for all users, regardless of the applications they may have on their machines?

Thanks!
Susan
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF Output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Susan,

The problem is most likely with the images you are using. Chrome and Edge will generally display PDFs created with Help+Manual 4 fine, including the pictures. Make sure that the picture file names don't have any spaces or special characters (accents, apostrophes, basically anything non-alphanumeric apart from underscores and dashes). If that doesn't work, try loading the image in a current graphics program, re-saving it and then re-inserting it in your project. This applies particularly if the the images are BMP files. There are a couple of types of older BMP formats that can cause problems.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.