Wrong display of variables

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Steffen Heller

Wrong display of variables

Unread post by Steffen Heller »

Hello,

something is wrong with the way variables are displayed in my PDFs.
The following image shows what I mean:

The name of the variable (in this case: # Name of the Variable #) is sometimes displayed correctly (like in chapter 1), sometimes it is moved to the left, covering the other text (like in chapter 2).
Both cases, right and wrong, can appear side by side, like here. On the topic page both variables look the same.

I think I already read about this in the forum. I just can't remember the exact explanation and couldn't find that other thread anymore.
But if an answer has already been given I am fine with a link to that other thread.
Thanks for helping
Steffen
My current Version: 7.4.0 Build 4590
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Wrong display of variables

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Steffen,

First, please update to the final release version of 7.4, released today:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd

Looking at your screenshot it's pretty clear that the problem is caused by using a font that doesn't have its own italic version. In cases like this Windows emulates italics by "bending" the normal font and this often throws the spacing in PDF off, which is much more sensitive to things like this than any other format. Version 7.4 has improved handling of emulated italics in PDF so it may help. However, it may also be that the font you are using has particular problems here. In that case it may help to change your font embedding option to Type3.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Steffen Heller

Re: Wrong display of variables

Unread post by Steffen Heller »

Thanks, Tim.
You are right, the problem lies in the combination of a certain font that cannot handle italic.
Thanks for helping
Steffen
My current Version: 7.4.0 Build 4590