Equivalent to Word's CTRL-Y (apply last edit)

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Equivalent to Word's CTRL-Y (apply last edit)

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Is there an equivalent to CTRL-Y in Word, which applies to a new selection, the edit done to the previous selection? For example, in Word, after selecting a subhead text and giving it a Heading 2 style, you can select another subhead further down, hit CTRL-Y and the new selection will become the Heading 2 style.

(I have found by experimentation that I can assign a keyboard shortcut to a style [Styles > Edit Styles..., Shortcut input box] and that will work fine, but Word's more generic CTRL-Y is useful for handling in the short term, a number of different repeated editing needs. But that raises another question: if I attempt to assign an existing keyboard shortcut to this or that commonly-used style, is H+M smart enough to prevent me from wrecking the earlier shortcut?)
Martin Wynne

Re: Equivalent to Word's CTRL-Y (apply last edit)

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dave,

Have a look at the Format Painter function to apply the same manual formatting repeatedly. See: https://helpandmanual.com/help//index.h ... manual.htm > +Using the Fomat Painter tool

Martin.
Dave Gehman

Martin, I'll look into Format Painter. Thanks!
Dave Gehman

Is there a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to the Format Painter? I don't see it among the choices in FIle > Program Options > Shortcuts.

(Asking because I'm the world's worst mouser - and would rather apply the Format Painter from the keyboard - with an additional plus of not having to again find the home keys once I've left the keyboard to [try to] manipulate the mouse...)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dave Gehman wrote:Is there a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to the Format Painter? I don't see it among the choices in FIle > Program Options > Shortcuts.
Sorry, but no. I suppose it would be theoretically possible, but the rationale is that the Format Painter is a mouse mode... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dave,

Don't forget you can always use the accelerator keys. For the Format Painter press ALT, W, F, P in order. Depending on your system settings, you may need to hold down ALT.

The same for any other function. They announce themselves on the ribbon when you press ALT.

Martin .
Dave Gehman

Martin Wynne wrote:Hi Dave,

Don't forget you can always use the accelerator keys. For the Format Painter press ALT, W, F, P in order. Depending on your system settings, you may need to hold down ALT.

Martin .
Great minds, etc... I was playing with this as you were posting. As usual, your version is better than what I was playing with: Windows speech recognition. WSR is definitely not the way to go; simple keypresses (as you've outlined) looks like the best tactic.

Thanks again,
Dave
Rob Davis

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Just to barge into the thread, I did put in a request to the wish list a long time ago for an equivalent to Windows F4 ('do it again') - I wonder if that will ever pay off?
Dave Gehman

Rob Davis wrote:Just to barge into the thread, I did put in a request to the wish list a long time ago for an equivalent to Windows F4 ('do it again') - I wonder if that will ever pay off?
Barging very welcome, especially since this just what I'd want, too. And I just learned the fact the F4 was 'do it again.' Time to revisit Windows keyboard shortcuts.
Svetlana Akulova

Unread post by Svetlana Akulova »

Rob Davis wrote:Just to barge into the thread, I did put in a request to the wish list a long time ago for an equivalent to Windows F4 ('do it again') - I wonder if that will ever pay off?
Hello everyone!
I agree with previous speakers. This would be a very, very useful feature in the Help & Manual.

And the topic I want to ask about the equivalent of another functionality. You cannot use the Ctrl key (but you can use it in relation to the content) to select multiple snippets in the text on the same page. Or somehow you can configure such a function?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Svetlana Akulova wrote:And the topic I want to ask about the equivalent of another functionality. You cannot use the Ctrl key (but you can use it in relation to the content) to select multiple snippets in the text on the same page. Or somehow you can configure such a function?
No, this isn't possible. CTRL+Click only works on physically distinct items, like TOC entries. The contents of the editor are a stream of data, so that doesn't work there.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.