Yet another odd request - any way to extract revisions?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Yet another odd request - any way to extract revisions?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

The Report functionality of H+M has proven really useful. However, the only edits/changes recorded seem to be the "last edited."

Is there any way to peel back layers of changes by date? I have a hunch, perhaps not a good one, that there are all sorts of data available that might be retrievable...
Tim Frost

Re: Yet another odd request - any way to extract revisions?

Unread post by Tim Frost »

The tool for that job is AJC Active Backup. Frequently recommended by others here, and for a very modest cost, a lifesaver. Not just for backup, but for delving back into precisely what has changed when. Just point it at your H&M topics folder and it does the job. Of course, it will only record changes from the day you start using it, but since I have used the product for over 12 years over many different folders, that is not an issue I have to be concerned with.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

In addition to Tim's excellent suggestion of AJC (remember, you need to use uncompressed HMXP projects to get the most out of it) note that Help+Manual 7 also has a history function that is active by default unless your project is under active version control with Subversion or TFS. By default you can roll back the last ten versions of any topic, but you can configure it to do more.

See here for details:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... istory.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Apologies, I forgot that this feature is built in. Although H&M shows the text properly formatted, which is helpful, I still like AJC Active Backup because (especially when linked to Beyond Compare as its difference viewer) it clearly highlights the precise differences.
Dave Gehman

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Thanks, all. Doing some research - our group uses TortoiseSVN for code revision control, but it doesn't appear to be automatic.