Tables and Images Right of Text

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Olivier Beltrami

Tables and Images Right of Text

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

Hello,

In H&M 7 I have a few topics with an image inserted right-of-text with table cells flowing around the image, as shown in the first image below.

But when I generate CHM or HTML, the tables refuse to wrap around the image (see second image below, same issue with both CHM and HTML). I even tried to add a paragraph return and spaces between each single-row table, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong ?

Very best regards,

Olivier

PS: It works fine in PDF format (see third image)

Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Tables and Images Right of Text

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Olivier,

I'm afraid this isn't going to work. The problem is that in HTML, tables are block elements. That means that they always occupy the entire width of the page unless you redefine them in CSS. You might think that you could give them an additional CSS class and then add your own CSS to the skin to set those tables to display as inline blocks instead of blocks. But then each table would behave like a word in a paragraph, and they would also display side by side, flowing like the words in a paragraph

What you would need to achieve this would be an individual float layout, floating the image to the right and the tables to the left, with additional clear elements to keep everything in the right place. But the key term here is "individual". It would need specific, individual formatting for these individual tables and images on this page only. That runs counter to the requirement that the content from a tool like Help+Manual should include all its formatting automatically.

The only solution approaching something workable would be to put everything in an additional table, with your small tables in the left column and the image in the right column. However, that creates a static layout that won't flow well and will also not work on small mobile devices. In today's environment, it's easier to avoid things like this... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Olivier Beltrami

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

Hi Tim,

I am horribly sorry. I thought I had already thanked you for your prompt and informative response (as always).
My apologies.

Very best regards,

Olivier
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Olivier,

No problem -- and Happy New Year! :mrgreen:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.