How do I edit the name of a non-TOC topic (e.g., Popup)

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

How do I edit the name of a non-TOC topic (e.g., Popup)

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

How can I edit the name of an H+M XML file that's in the Topics tree, but not in the TOC.

Specifically, this is for popup files that I've created. These are created in the Project, but not in the Table of Contents.

Reason for change: I've found that I created a file name prefix using an initial number, e.g. "1POP-". Beginning a filename with a number is not recommended by Tim. I concocted this prefix to get all the popup files to rise to the top of the children listed under Project FIles > Topic Files > Topics. I wanted visual organization of all the popups plus ease of access for editing. The tree under this Topics automatically alphabetized.

There are links in the main help file body to these popup-type XMLs.

I want to change the suffixes to "aaPOP-"

Do I edit the topic's <TITLE> Tag and Topic ID? Seems not, as I get an error message about duplicate Help Context Numbers.

Do I change their names in Windows Explorer? Worrisome, as the links to them might break.

Do I have to delete them and add new ones with the correct kind of file name, then edit the links in the main help text body to point to the new non-TOC files? Bummer, as that's a lot of work...
John Johann

Re: How do I edit the name of a non-TOC topic (e.g., Popup)

Unread post by John Johann »

Did you edit the Topic ID via H&M on its own?
Dave Gehman

Could you rephrase? I don't think I understand your question.

In the one instance where I got error codes, I edited the fields in H+M Write mode in the right-hand portion of the Editor pane.
John Johann

Unread post by John Johann »

Sorry. Those options in the Editor pane are also where I would normally rename a Topic ID. By "on its own" I mean only edit the Topic ID first, then save and test the result. You can change the Title in a seccond step if you need to. The filenames you see in the Project Explorer and Windows Explorer are those Topic IDs with an ".xml" on the end. I wouldn't rename anything outside H&M as that will not be automatically picked up.

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/inde ... odular.htm gives some pointers (and warnings) on renaming topics.

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/inde ... odular.htm and here, too.
Dave Gehman

Thanks, John.

I'll have to study the Modular bit in your link.

Much appreciated.

Dave