JS Popup flashing

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

JS Popup flashing

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

I think the following problem of a flashing pop-up has to do with some sort of animation that H+M injects when a popup is moused over (popup set to happen on mouse-over). It stops when you move the cursor off the popup area.

The following is the only way I could find to get you to the MP4 (click on "image"). It will loop forever until you use your browser back key to return to this forum.

Where can I turn off the animated opening bit?

Or is this a problem in H+M?

Key question is - how can I stop the flash-flash-flash from occurring?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: JS Popup flashing

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

Something odd is definitely happening there. I tested that and couldn't reproduce it, both with the Advanced Popups in the V2 skin you are using (activated in the Skin Include Options in the Publish screen) and regular HM popups. That being said, you shouldn't use the mouseover option for the Advanced Popups because they are draggable and resizable. Since they will close automatically as soon as you move the mouse away from the link that isn't very practical.

Even so, please mail me a demo project and your skin at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll try to see what is going on with the flashing.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

agh...
No switch to turn off the animated (zoom-out) opening?

Or is that Windows 10 just being fancy, like the horrendous "Aero" business of a few years ago?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote:agh...
No switch to turn off the animated (zoom-out) opening?
That's just the way it's set up at the moment. Nobody has ever complained about it up to now. What you would you prefer - just snap on/off? Lots of people don't like that because it seems jarring.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Tim Green wrote: That's just the way it's set up at the moment. Nobody has ever complained about it up to now.
The company I'm working for is made up of mechanical engineers... they practice complaining on their own time, in preparation for what they see is their real job, which is to complain or become enraged about details. :roll: Sorry about that.
What you would you prefer - just snap on/off? Lots of people don't like that because it seems jarring.
When I get a moment, I'll capture a normal popup - many of them are* - and edit it to look like snap on/off, and loop it. You're right, it might be jarring. Hopefully my video experiment will show that one way or the other.

*it seems to be dependent on the real estate taken up by the popup. It's probably dependent on the exact location of the cursor as well. Larger ones flash maybe 80% or more of the time. Small, one or two-line popups never flash more than once and most (~90%) don't flash at all.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

A background question: Are you working on a very high resolution screen? One possibility might be that the mouse is just on the edge of the link and trembling ever so slightly, so that it is moving onto and off of one of the super-tiny pixels on the screen. If you move the mouse away from the link entirely, does it stop?
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

Considering that my monitor is 1920 x 1080 and I didn't pay more than $US 125 for it, I don't think it's super high res... :)

Also, it continues to flash wherever I move the mouse over the popup, once it pops and starts flashing.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote:Considering that my monitor is 1920 x 1080 and I didn't pay more than $US 125 for it, I don't think it's super high res... :)
Also, it continues to flash wherever I move the mouse over the popup, once it pops and starts flashing.
OK, that definitely wasn't it. :? Then I really need to see a demo project and your skin to be able to figure out what is going on. Mail attachments containing things like skins are causing problems at the moment (servers are blocking them because of the JS files they contain). So instead of attaching the files, put them in a zip on your cloud folder (OneDrive, Dropbox or whatever you are using) and include a download link in the mail. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

OK. Sorry to say, it will be later next week. We're pushing out changes to the program I'm documenting for a training session that starts Monday next.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote:OK. Sorry to say, it will be later next week. We're pushing out changes to the program I'm documenting for a training session that starts Monday next.
No hurry, no worry... :)
Regards,

Private support: