Deleting files from baggage

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

rossmcm

Deleting files from baggage

Unread post by rossmcm »

I am porting a H&M4.5 project to H&M7. I have saved it as a HMXZ format file and it compiles OK except that I get two errors from the MS HTML Help Compiler:

Code: Select all

HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling Globe Help 35x28.png
and a similar error for another PNG file. Both of these image files are referenced in the HTML for the page footer.

On the basis of this post, I renamed the files to names without spaces (I was skeptical however - I can't imagine MS thinking it would be a good move to remove support of filenames with spaces in them!). The compilation still gave the same error, the same filename with spaces.

Next step was to add the no-spaces filenames to the baggage files. No change. although for some reason it's only complaining about 1 file, not two.

However, I can't see how to remove the older files from the baggage. How do you do that?

And, are there any special rules or gotchas when referencing an image file in a page footer?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Deleting files from baggage

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ross,
I can't imagine MS thinking it would be a good move to remove support of filenames with spaces in them!
This is a misunderstanding: It has nothing to do with MS or Windows. Filenames with spaces and many are not compatible with HTML, and that is a universal fact that is true irrespective of the operating system. It's just as true on Linux, Unix and Mac OS as it is on Windows.
On the basis of this post, I renamed the files to names without spaces
If the files are in the Baggage then you must have only renamed the references to them in the footer, because you can't rename files in the Baggage directly. Or you physically renamed the files in the Baggage in Windows Explorer, and if you did that you will have created an error in your project because the reference will still be pointing to the old file name. To rename a Baggage file you need to delete its reference in the Baggage (make a copy of it first, otherwise that will delete the file) and then re-insert the renamed version:
  1. Go to Project Files > Baggage Files > Baggage and select the file in question (in your project if it's in the project, in the .hmskin file if it's in the skin).
  2. In the lower right area of the screen select the button for saving a copy of the file and save it in a safe location.
  3. Delete the file from the baggage and save.
  4. Rename the external file and re-insert it.
  5. Check that the reference for your footer uses the new file name.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

Hi Tim, thanks for replying.

I'm wondering if this "spaces in the filename" thing is a red herring. The HTML in question didn't give H&M 4.5 any problems, and the CHM produced by the H&M7 compile seems to be rendered without any problems.

Whatever, based on your response, I shall clean up my baggage tomorrow and report back.
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

All sorted. Thanks, Tim.