Random crash on startup

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

rossmcm

Random crash on startup

Unread post by rossmcm »

Running most recent update (4650) on Win10 Home.

Every now and again I get the following crash on starting H&M (this invocation was from a batch file but I've seen it on starting the IDE also):
H&M5.png
On dismissing this I get:
H&M6.png
The PC has 16G of RAM and is lightly loaded - plenty of spare memory showing (although H&M being a 32-bit application is probably limited by that).

Any comments appreciated. It's a bummer when it occurs in a batch build and I don't notice it for a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Random crash on startup

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ross,

This isn't currently a known error. I've passed it on to our developers and will let you know what they say. If you get a dialog asking you to submit an error report when this happens please do send it because it will include the necessary analysis information.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hello Ross,

Is Help+Manual locally installed or is it a server version? If the failures are occasional, it could be a network problem. The file reported is a DLL that is used by the main application. It implements the syntax highlighter for code examples.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

It is locally installed. The crash happens way before the UI gets started (i.e. there is no project loaded, so no syntax to highlight).

Previously when it has occurred I have been able to try again and it would start up and run without a problem, but I tried it just now and it consistently faults.
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

...and now it is working fine!

Is there a command-line option I can use to get a startup log?
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

This happens at application initialization, way too early even for a startup log. That's why you get a plain error message, and no bug report.

Can you try to copy the Help+Manual installation folder to a new place and start HELPMAN.EXE from that folder? You can simply copy the entire installation folder of H&M including subfolders. It will run as long as it is on the same PC.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH