Reordering TOCs

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Reordering TOCs

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I have a lot of TOCs in my document and H+M doesn't seem to want me to reorder it via drag and drop, only Right-click > Move Table of Contents up.

Any ideas?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Reordering TOCs

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ga,

You've protected the TOC against accidental drag and drop. Go to Project > Manage Topics > Explore and disable the option "Disable Drag & Drop in Explorer". 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

I haven't! :P

If Disable Drag & Drop in Explorer is enabled, you can't even begin to move a TOC.

I can move it, it just doesn't want to drop anywhere (as indicated by the 'stop sign' in the image). :|
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ga,

Ah: Are you trying to move an entire secondary TOC with the mouse? That isn't possible, that is correct. There are technical reasons for that.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Ah, OK.

Do we think we could add a 'move to top' option or something? Maybe a shortcut for Move Table of Contents up/down?

It's not a big issue, but it is annoying having to create a new TOC and then Right-click, Scroll to Move Table of Contents up, left-click, repeat x 10+...

Cheers, Tim.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote:Do we think we could add a 'move to top' option or something? Maybe a shortcut for Move Table of Contents up/down?
"Move to Top" is strictly forbidden because of the special status of the primary TOC, which is always at the top and cannot be changed. The primary TOC can't filter your output on the basis of the entries in the TOC; it always exports all the files in the project, even if they are not in the TOC, unless they are explicitly excluded with build options. Only secondary TOCs filter the output on the basis of the TOC entries. For this reason, the primary TOC shouldn't be used for publishing reduced, "filtered" versions of your project based on the TOC.
Regards,

Private support:
Ga Bowen

I do understand that, I was just after an easier way of re-ordering the rest of the TOCs.

Anyway, probably putting too much into a minor issue.

Thanks, Tim. :)