CHM search duplicates

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

CHM search duplicates

Unread post by John Johann »

In a current project, I have a master project in H&M with the master TOC which links to child CHM files in a runtime merge set-up. The children are from a legacy system and not currently migrated to H&M. Each of the child projects has a [MERGE FILES] section with the names of the *other* children and the name of the master CHM.

When I publish the master project and copy the children to the same folder, opening any child automatically displays the entire TOC with the master and all the siblings -- as expected.

However, when I use the SEARCH function, I get duplicate results pointing to the same topic (both of which work).

When setting up the master TOC in H&M, I also included the children in a [MERGE FILES] section.

Do I need to do this in H&M -- is that the reason for the duplicates?
John Johann

Re: CHM search duplicates

I had a look at the modular example and tried publishing it per the instructions using a default blue CHM skin.

It raises a compiler error and the CHM won't open.

Code: Select all

HHC3004: Warning: helpman_topicinit.js : The HTML tag "=0) { if (parent.hmNavigationFrame) { parent..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: helpman_topicinit.js : The HTML tag "(maxW/2)) endW = maxW/2;    endH = maxH * endW / ..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: helpman_topicinit.js : The HTML tag "(maxW/2)) endW = maxW/2; if (tmpW != endW) ..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
Anyway, looking at the publishing settings of the Master and children examples, there is nothing in the extended hhp settings. So it would appear I answered my own question :-)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

You definitely don't need to add anything to the Extended .HHP if you are binding HM projects, that is done for you automatically. Those error messages are an indication that you're using an out-of-date skin, possibly a version from Help+Manual 6.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

We never had H&M 6 -- the skin is any of CHM Skin, Black Header, Feature Images.hmskin / Blue /Grey
Tim Green
Site Admin

John Johann wrote:We never had H&M 6 -- the skin is any of CHM Skin, Black Header, Feature Images.hmskin / Blue /Grey
Then it may be because of your settings or additions in Extended .HHP settings. What is happening is that the compiler is trying to process the JavaScript file from the Baggage als HTML, which fails, of course. That won't happen with the normal settings.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

John Johann wrote:We never had H&M 6 -- the skin is any of CHM Skin, Black Header, Feature Images.hmskin / Blue /Grey
Then it may be because of your settings or additions in Extended .HHP settings. What is happening is that the compiler is trying to process the JavaScript file from the Baggage als HTML, which fails, of course. That won't happen with the normal settings.
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
I just read through the project and published as instructed -- didn't change anything so all settings should be as installed (I only selected the (unchanged) skin and checked the condition runtime instead of publishtime).
Tim Green
Site Admin

John Johann wrote:I just read through the project and published as instructed -- didn't change anything so all settings should be as installed (I only selected the (unchanged) skin and checked the condition runtime instead of publishtime).
Strange. Please send me a small demo project and the skin you are using at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check it out. It's probably best to put it all in a zip and provide a Dropbox or Onedrive sharing link since mail servers are increasingly blocking all attachments containing JS files, even inside projects, skins and zips.

If a sharing link please really a neutral sharing link, not something that requires a specific mail address to open it. The support address doesn't have any cloud accounts. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
I don't have access to the pc right now, so I can send it tomorrow -- however, it is the standard Modular project example using the standard skin. Just publishing as is without changes.
Tim Green
Site Admin

John Johann wrote:I don't have access to the pc right now, so I can send it tomorrow -- however, it is the standard Modular project example using the standard skin. Just publishing as is without changes.
Hmm... Just tested that out, I don't get those errors, only the references to the links in the Jump buttons and those are OK. Is it possible that you haven't updated HM7 in a while? That could have you using older versions of the skins as well. Current version is 7.4.2 Build 4650.
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
I was on build 4620 now on 4650.

The modular help files are in users\username\Documents\HelpAndManual Projects\Examples\Modular Help Systems dated 09.03.2016.

The option to install the examples was selected in the installer, so I assume it automatically overwrites with the new examples.
To test, I renamed the old Examples folder and installed again -- the dates of the modular help projects are the same.

The error on compilation is also the same. Mail on its way just in case we have different file versions.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

Everything you sent compiles correctly without errors here, as expected. I've sent you instructions for reinstalling the CHM compiler. What version of Windows are you running?
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

I'm running the latest Windows 7.

The project still doesn't compile correctly after reinstalling the CHM compiler.
Tim Green
Site Admin

We're looking into it. I can't reproduce the problem on any of my machines, our devs are trying it out in different configurations. :?
Regards,

Private support: